Relationship between SAG and IATSE?

ptalsky

This may seem like a strange question, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows if there is any equivalent to Rule One between SAG and IATSE.  It looks like I'll be forced to join SAG in the next couple of months, but I really don't see a need (at this time) for me to join IATSE.  So I'm wondering if there will be any problems with me working non-union sound gigs.

Thanks!

Phil

Guest tourtelot

None.  So you can do you sound jobs.  I wish there was a better relationship between the two and that the actors were not forced by their contract to cross an IA picket-line.  It would make the organization of the movie industry much easier.  In my one strike experience, the actors were very simpathetic, and in fact, served us meals on the line in the off time, but were forced to cross the line every day and continue working.  Sad.  But it is cool getting sweetrolls and coffee from Maria Bello<g>.

It's my understanding that it's illegal under the Taft-Hartley act for one union to respect the picket line of another union as Taft Hartley bans "secondary boycotts". In other countries that might not be the case, but I believe that's the way it is in the US. When members of one union refuse to cross another's picket line, I believe typically they're doing it without the union officials "permission" (so as to reduce the culpability of the union itself.)

And as noted elsewhere on these forums (if I recall correctly), you can't be forced to join a union -- you can only (in certain states) be forced to pay union dues (and only those dues which are used for collective bargaining, which I believe SAG thinks is 98% of their full dues.)