At my advanced age I don't do much, if any bag work, but if I did, the waist belt seems like a good way to go. It is a good time in the so called craft of "sound for picture", that we all have so many options for doing our jobs. The light micro recorder/mixer units, insanely good radio mics, the bags, and of course the unrealistic expectations.... Well, 3 out of 4's not bad.

CrewC

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the waist belt... I like how the lower half of the strap angles down to meet the height of the bag...The back part looks thick and comfy. Is it breathable material?

Can the straps that hook to mixer bag itself be wider to stiffen the whole thing up??

And I think they should be independently adjustable.. so 2 straps that can be adjusted instead of one strap going thru a D ring.

This will help in 2 areas.

1, when your taking your gear off you, don't risk dropping your rig as soon as you unhook one side of the strap.. It seems as that as soon as you unhook one strap the whole thing comes off.. This can be good and bad.

2, Sometimes you have to grab your gear and go right? Independent straps/clips will give you time to get it hooked up and moving...then later you can clip in the bottom ones.

You can leave one side connected.. wrap the belt around and clip in the top and be ready to go.

I just think it might be less clumsy if you're in a hurry.

• 2 weeks later...

Having not seen the KTek or the Orca in person I still think they are both major improvements over the older bag offerings.  Even the Porta Brace is looking very good.  A product I wouldn't have considered just a year ago.  Here's a general thought:  The padded pillows and velcro dividers to me don't work all that well. I'm thinking like Redo that plastic or metal spaces for the wireless receivers work much better. I built my own receiver box that keeps things very secure and organized and its made of light weight but strong ABS plastic. If something like that could be made modular or adjustable I'd consider that an improvement. I have a Petrol PEGZ 1 that I will be replacing eventually with a Ktek,Orca, or Porta Brace depending on which one works the best for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Why wireless boom?

I guess it's a matter of choice, but a few reasons I could think of:

- Set pole down without having to be tethered to it, enabling you to walk away if necessary (like when you need to mic someone)

- Consistency in regards to RF delay and sound with other wireless (if same brand / modulation)

- Reduce weight that would otherwise be added to the pole due to cable

• 2 weeks later...

Beat me to it. I have my OR30 waiting for me back in the office. Will test it tomorrow.

The Orca OR30 with Maxx. Still trying to figure out the configuration. Its a work in progress so stay tuned.

If you had one unit recorder/wireless you would not have to figure out the configuration....

You just drop it inside the bag and be done with it...

Hey Jack- Any concern with QRX200 not being able to vent properly? In the last configuration it looks like the vent holes will be covered by the the bag/411a. Maybe I'm being too cautious with always giving mine some room. 

The Orca OR30 with Maxx. Still trying to figure out the configuration. Its a work in progress so stay tuned.