• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been playing with the Orca bag a bit more and the more time I spend with it the more I am liking it. The bag is very well built and I really like the rigidity of the bag, nothing sags and it will stand up on its own. The front pocket is pretty roomy with enough space for my transmitters, mics, AA batteries and accessories and there are elastic loops sewn in for pens and adapters.There is a slimmer pocket in the front of the main pocket as well. In front of that there are two bungee loops to attach a boom or even the slack of a snake cable. There is a rear pocket that is the full size of the bag - it has top zipper access and plenty of room to hold 2 NP1's and there is space left over for some miscellaneous doodads. The sides fully open giving me total access to the inside with no noisy Velcro. There are two removable side pouches which I like because they aren't easy to remove - because I have had my Petrol pouches pop off way too many times. Plus I almost never remove my pouches anyway so I like that it would take some extra effort to remove. But if you don't want them they are removable. While I am not currently using the center divider it has RF shielding and straps to hold the receivers in place it is also pretty rigid and holds it place with no slack and very little flex. There is the Orca lift system and a locking strap that will lock and hold the recorder in place at your desired height with no padding or pillows needed - though if you want there a two pillows included with the bag. The 30 has two loops on the top back (back and front) which allows you to balance the bag depending how it is weighted. And two lower loops on the back to attach your harness to. There is a locking access door on the bottom with a which gives you more access to your connectors. I put my nomad in the OR30 - while it does technically fit I think the 32 or the 34 will be a much better fit. The 30 is primarily for the 633 or Maxx. The OR-30 is a fantastic bag that was designed and built very well.

After more then a week with the ORCA harness I am very happy. The big ventilation holes are great here in the Nevada Desert. My shirt is not wet and it feels a lot cooler. As far as comfort I am happy that ORCA decided to make the harness softer - closer to portabrace then Petrol. I used the waist belt for a few days but removed it because my bag is very lite. I have not had any fatigue or back pain. The  harness I have seam to be ok for my size but might be a little smaller for big people. I have not tried any of the new harnesses but compared to the old Portabrace and Petrol the ORCA harness is superior.

I was fortunate enough to be in Trew Audio today and met Ofer ("Mr. Orca") and got a chance to look at all the offerings from Orca --- the various bags, amazing array of accessories --- I was impressed! All the pictures that have been posted here on the site are great but the experience of looking at these things in person, realizing the thought, care and creativity that goes into the design and execution of the sound bag, pretty incredible. We always talk about how it is so personal, all the gear we use, and in the case of the sound bag it is truly personal --- you have to wear all that gear and do your job. I have done so very little work out of a sound bag, almost none, but I have tremendous respect for my fellow sound mixers who do this sort of work all the time. 

I was fortunate enough to be in Trew Audio today and met Ofer ("Mr. Orca") and got a chance to look at all the offerings from Orca --- the various bags, amazing array of accessories --- I was impressed! All the pictures that have been posted here on the site are great but the experience of looking at these things in person, realizing the thought, care and creativity that goes into the design and execution of the sound bag, pretty incredible. We always talk about how it is so personal, all the gear we use, and in the case of the sound bag it is truly personal --- you have to wear all that gear and do your job. I have done so very little work out of a sound bag, almost none, but I have tremendous respect for my fellow sound mixers who do this sort of work all the time. 

You are absolutely right Jeff, the pictures do not do the craftsmanship that goes into these bags justice. You can only truly appreciate the beauty of these bags in person. Which is why, I bought one on the spot when I went to Gotham this past Monday.

Now that the bags have begun shipping and several of you now have the bags, or have seen them we are looking for any and all feedback from you guys.

Which bags are you getting or thinking to get for which gear (what recorder, how many wireless, etc)?

How is the size of the bag? Is it too roomy? Or is it too tight? Too tall? Too short?

How is the build quality? Choice of material?

We are always open to feedback because your opinion counts, after all you are the ones who have to work with our products. And we want to supply you with the best possible bag that we can.

Thanks.

Make a bag for the family of recorders in between the Maxx/633 and The enormous 644

If you design one just over 11" wide it'll be a great fit for the 552/788/Nomad sized recorders without needing to force it into the OR30 or let it swim in the OR32/34s

That's the size that I feel is most neglected by bag makers, I know Ktek is finally coming out with a good medium sized bag too.

Make a bag for the family of recorders in between the Maxx/633 and The enormous 644

If you design one just over 11" wide it'll be a great fit for the 552/788/Nomad sized recorders without needing to force it into the OR30 or let it swim in the OR32/34s

That's the size that I feel is most neglected by bag makers, I know Ktek is finally coming out with a good medium sized bag too.

So what size are you ideally looking for?

So perhaps 12" wide by what size?

I ordered an Orca 32 for my 664. It's a little too small for my needs so I am in the process of exchanging it for the 34 model. 

Very well thought out and designed bag! Keep up the good work!

Edward

What else are you keeping in your bag? Are other 664 users feeling the same about the 34? Or are you liking the size of the 32?

So what size are you ideally looking for?

So perhaps 12" wide by what size?

Just barely over 11" so like

Length: 11.2"

Height: 8"

Width: 6.5"

but if you could add 2 bags I'd say make them comparable to the 32/34s with 2 widths to accommodate mixers who like the extra faders CL-8/FP-8 or not

Hi. I carry 2 411s and an Sr5 in the bag.  Plus transmitters for them, comtek transmitter, box for lava, spare batteries, tape for mounting mics, timecode cables, etc. I also like to have extra room in case I need extra wireless for jobs. The 32 was a tight squeeze for the 664 to fit in and there was just not enough real estate for receivers and transmitters. Don't get me wrong the bag is beautiful!  I prefer a smaller bag so it prevents me from carrying too much stuff, but the 32 is just a little too small for my needs. Maybe I carry more than I should, but I hate making trips back to the car and I don't always have my follow luggage close by in run and gun situations. I think the 34 should be the ticket!