Sound is as easy as 1,2,3…...

chriskellett

How many people does it take to change a light on set?  3 to 6 or more?    How many do they hire to insure good sound?

I just did two 12+ hour days with a crew that was half my age.  When it was over I was tired.  Because of the physical work?

No.  It was the mental work of having to constantly rework by boom strategy because they kept needing to change their lighting.

We're not just sitting around waiting, we are constantly mentally recalculating. 

How many people does it take to change a light on set?  3 to 6 or more?    How many do they hire to insure good sound?

I just did two 12+ hour days with a crew that was half my age.  When it was over I was tired.  Because of the physical work?

No.  It was the mental work of having to constantly rework by boom strategy because they kept needing to change their lighting.

We're not just sitting around waiting, we are constantly mentally recalculating. 

+1

And do YOU want to MAKE super Easy $$?!  Just get up at 4:30 am to answer Post & Production emails and to be an hour early to work so you can find your Sescom mini Stereo to XLR for the computer playback scene first up, because you thought you put it in your bag and now it might still be in your garage.  With the time you save, YOU can easily find a good replacement for your boom op for Friday because the person you did have booked just got a 3 day gig----all the while watching rehearsal hoping 10 wireless will be enough, and finding time to cut up your Sides for the 3 3/8 pg scene with Rain FX.  It's as easy as pushing the Record Button!  Oh, and the writer returned his headphones and Comtek pouch last night, but doesn't know where the Comtek actually is.

So, I earn more money than he does, what's the big deal! ;-)

But he sure can talk the talk...

That's one important part of the job working as a freelance sound engineer.

When the going gets touch, I wonder if he really can walk the walk... :-)

So he's worked on Dr Phil, that's like three lav mics, recorded "live on tape"?

I would love to put him through the paces on a busy reality show or as he call it, "a regular documentary" swinging boom and keeping track of hidden lavs etc. Or up the stakes and make him work on a OB van sports gig, setting up comlinks, troubleshooting crappy telephone hybrids and dealing with larger-than-life sport commentators. Ah,well...

One thing's for sure, he will always be able to get a job in a Sales Department... :-) 

Cheers

Fred

ninja: " So he's worked on Dr Phil, that's like three lav mics, recorded "live on tape"? "

it depends...

but Ninja is showing what s/he doesn't know.

perhaps Blair was (only) on a small package crew, that is typically an ENG shoot with a couple lav's and maybe a boom fed to a camcorder, but perhaps it was more... a 2 camera remote, or, if he worked on the live show, a lot more, a whole lot more!

He should have become a DOP. They make more than double the money and don't even have to worry about equipment, because the assistant is taking care of that. As a DOP, you just make some nice shots, talk some creative blather and go home. Much easier and looks cooler too.

Everything you are good at is easy. Because you're good at it.

His Lav is clipping big time by the way.