MacBook Pro RAM question

Jon Gilbert

It should work. According to the specs of DDR3L, it should run at the higher voltage if placed in a DDR3 slot. But you can't know for sure until you try it. It won't hurt anything. If you experience kernel panics or anything weird, just switch back to the original RAM. After installing the RAM, I'd also recommend running something like memtest86 to check for any errors.

One note:

You may not be able to upgrade your laptop to 16GB. I believe the maximum you can upgrade your RAM to on these laptops is 8GB.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp649

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP694

According to this, the 2010 model supports up to 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, so it should work.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP583?viewlocale=en_US

Apple frequently under-rates the hardware for memory limits, for reasons that escape logic. OWC at Macsales.com will always have the full story about what your computer can handle. 

16gb is certainly possible, I have 3 different Macbook Pro unibody laptops from 2010-2013 all running with a full boat of memory. You cannot ever have too much available memory. OWC also sells it for an amazing price, so there isn't any reason NOT to get the full 16gb.

Apple frequently under-rates the hardware for memory limits, for reasons that escape logic. OWC at Macsales.com will always have the full story about what your computer can handle. 

16gb is certainly possible, I have 3 different Macbook Pro unibody laptops from 2010-2013 all running with a full boat of memory. You cannot ever have too much available memory. OWC also sells it for an amazing price, so there isn't any reason NOT to get the full 16gb.

This is good to know. I had "maxed" out my RAM, thinking that the rated 8GB was the actual max. I will now look into upgrading to 16GB instead.

• 2 weeks later...

The only issue with 16 Gigs of Ram is that it will save the entire contents of that memory to your boot drive upon shutdown. Not so much of a problem now, with larger cheaper SSDs, but when my boot drive was a 90 gig SSD it was a pretty substantial chunk of my hard drive and very puzzling to figure out where all that hard drive space had gone...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

• 5 weeks later...