Portabrace AH-3H Heavy load Harness Redesign.

The Portabrace AH-3H Heavy Load Harness has been redesigned.

I will be posting pictures of this new harness next week.

The new harness had some significant changes made. The padded material is now much more form fitting and contours to the users shape much better, providing a much more comfortable fit.

The harness adjustability has also been changed and improved. No longer does the harness have an adjustable velcro shoulder section in the center of the back. The harness adjusts vertically on the chest and also below the arms, changing the position of the metal rings, enabling the user to lower the weight of the audio rig onto the heavy duty belt.

The large padded memory foam belt sits comfortably, and very securely around the waist. This belt then supports the majority of the bags weight, taking the strain off the shoulders.

For smaller rigs, the harness can be used separately from the belt.

(If this larger and more substantial belt system proves to be a popular and functional change, it could then be developed into a large 'belt only' configuration to be used with a modified belt compatible AO bag.)

When I wear a shoulder harness, I have been mostly happy with my AH-3H.  These days I am using only a waistbelt, and prefer it this way.  I would encourage you to develop the waist belt only option, I would like a more padded and supportive waist belt than the one I currently use.

Waist belt development is something that has popped up in many discussions and is something I will definitely be looking into. The waist belt on the new AH-3H is a nicely padded and supportive system. I will have to test the belt out on its own to see if it could function with a smaller rig setup. That would be interesting to see.

One problem that most designers have not addressed is a harness that can be worn over cold weather clothing.

I'm 200 pounds and have never found a harness that could be worn on top of my Mountain Equipment down filled jacket.

I understand your issues, I have had the same problem in the past. My AH-3H was often rather tight when wearing cold climate clothing. I ended up actually buying a used top half, that was bigger. But understand that that isn't a viable solution for everyone.

One thing that I believe will really help prevent this issue is to make accurate and detailed measurement information available to you at the time of purchase. I am going to make sure that with this new harness, you are given more accurate sizing specifications explaining exactly what size group the harness covers.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The harness looks great! I have the Petrol harness, but I never like it when I have the boom raised with almost stretched out arms. It's fairly stiff and wide at the shoulders and thus very uncomfortable for that particular booming position. Carrying a heavy bag was quite comfortable though. How is the AH-3H dealing with this? Or is it not even a problem for most of us?

The harness looks great! I have the Petrol harness, but I never like it when I have the boom raised with almost stretched out arms. It's fairly stiff and wide at the shoulders and thus very uncomfortable for that particular booming position. Carrying a heavy bag was quite comfortable though. How is the AH-3H dealing with this? Or is it not even a problem for most of us?

I'm sure everyone has had that problem when booming. I certainly have. I've been wearing this harness on set with a fully loaded 788 rig with 7 x 411 Lectrosonics. I have found that being able to lower that massive weight down to the waist is a huge help.

With the weight distributed to your hips, this substantially decreases the weight acting down on your shoulders when booming. I've found it to be very comfortable.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...