LA boom op moving to NY

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and looking for advice and leads.  I've been a union boom operator in Los Angeles since 1996, and have done just fine.  I have no problem getting on a series or two each fall, the last really successful TV series I did was House MD, and a series I just worked on (About a Boy) is getting a second season starting this fall.  I really do not need to go to NY to work, however, I met a girl at Burning Man, and not really expecting much, it turned into something special.  And now we want to live together, but she's just launching her career as a photographer in NY, and she does not want to move to LA, so I've decided to try my fortune in NY.  

I am not competitive and I only want to add to the experienced labor pool and complement the talent already there.  If anyone has any leads, advice, help in getting in the union, etc, send them my way.  You can look me up on IMDB, I have plenty of experience to work on any network or cable TV series, or feature.  I would like to get to know the busiest, best mixers and boom operators and offer my services.  I have a resume with references I can send as well, and a place to stay in Williamsburg. Thank you all.post-10380-0-24323400-1403028261_thumb.j

From the sound I've heard on some of the shows out of NY, they could use your help.

Wow! I doubt it is the sound people who are the problem if there is indeed one. (I don't watch much tv)

Best of luck on the move. I did a film in NYC in 1986 and liked those I worked with from the other departments. Hopefully for you some of our NY area people will give you some advice.

CrewC

From the sound I've heard on some of the shows out of NY, they could use your help.

Ouch, that's sort of a very strong and distasteful comment. With all due respect, I don't know what shows you watch, but this is certainly not true. There's plenty of NY mixers and boom ops that do marvelous work here.

To Ken, I think that what you are doing is very sweet, and have no doubt that you will continue to be successful here in NY as well! Perhaps visit the Local 52 offices, local dealers (Gotham and Pro Sound), and start meeting people here.

Pardon my inelegant statement. It is based on my own listening experience and unsoloicited comments from friends.

The operative word in my post is SOME. Certainly the preponderance of NY crews are competent. Admittedly, there are LA crew who are quality challenged.

Distasteful would be naming specific shows and mixers.

My poorly stated point is that Ken is a skilled and competent boom op that would prove to be an asset to any crew.

Pardon my inelegant statement. It is based on my own listening experience and unsoloicited comments from friends.

The operative word in my post is SOME. Certainly the preponderance of NY crews are competent. Admittedly, there are LA crew who are quality challenged.

Distasteful would be naming specific shows and mixers.

My poorly stated point is that Ken is a skilled and competent boom op that would prove to be an asset to any crew.

Could be the re recording mixers making it sound bad.

NYC is very expensive... especially Manhattan. If you have a vehicle, which I assume you would, even more so. A few years ago, I moved to the N/W 'burbs' where things are 'a little cheaper', house w/ driveway & garage to park my vehicles.

You are right, cost of living in NYC is much higher than your typical US city, only topped by San Francisco. But it seems that our friend Ken has already figured out a place in Williamsburg, which is top priority, and is very close to the city (Manhattan) by train (around 15 minutes). If you do get/keep a car, make sure you have a place where to park it. Parking can get very complicated in and near the city (especially when its snows). Maintaining a car can also be complicated due to the constant deteriorating streets and snow.

LA's loss is NYC's gain. Ken is a fantastic boom operator and a beautiful human being. Positive energy, creative solutions, tireless work ethic. Congrats on following your heart, Ken. (That's how I landed in LA.) Best of luck on your grand adventure.

• 4 months later...

Wow, I didn't realize people were replying to this topic!  I need to fix my notifications!  Thank you all for your kind words, I really am just following love and looking for new adventures - I'm from Los Angeles, and I've been a boom operator since I was 19!  So this is a big stir of the pot, and I look forward to the challenges ahead - they will be new ones for me.  I am bringing my truck, it seems like it will come in handy, but I am primarily a bicycle commuter, and I save the truck for occasional use, so some way to protect and store it might be handy.  Williamsburg doesn't seem as crazy as the city, but I haven't tried parking a car there yet!

My status currently is that I'm working on the NBC comedy About a Boy with Von Varga in Los Angeles until March, then doing the full move to NY.  Then shaking the tree and getting to know as many decent sound guys as I can so I can so hopefully I can land a series or feature there.  I may return for a few weeks here and there to LA, because all of my family and most of my friends are here, as well as so many great sound mixer and boom operator friends I can help out a bit (ok, I need 6 weeks a year to fulfill the hours requirement for 695).   

I also want to add that I've worked a number of projects with Paul and Don, and I've always enjoyed the experience.  Thank you guys!