Anybody using Dante with the x32 Behringer?

Tim M

Damn auto correct "behringer"...At infocomm right now since I couldn't make NAB... heard they are shipping the cards interested if anybody is using it into a sound devices product.

post-4091-14031325291.jpgpost-4091-140313255106.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I looked into it a few weeks back, but there was one "feature" that was a deal breaker -- the left 8 faders are for inputs, the right 8 are for the groups/busses/matrices and NOT re-assignable to be used as input faders. To have more than 8 channels of control, you need to operate in layers on the left side. Otherwise, a very nice looking board.

It coulda been a contender... 

The mic pre's in any of these digital consoles in this price range are not good/quiet enough for film/tv in my opinion

Otherwise nice consoles like Soundcraft Si Expression, Allen and Heath QU-24

I second Peter in his opinion. I could be a good solution to use better front end preamps like a metric halo rack or even a API luchbox (a bit heavy for a cart though). 

The mic pre's in any of these digital consoles in this price range are not good/quiet enough for film/tv in my opinion

Otherwise nice consoles like Soundcraft Si Expression, Allen and Heath QU-24

Care to share what your opinions are based on? You have some examples we can hear?

The sad reality regarding most of these discussions about the quality of mic preamps in low cost mixers is that for all those people that have gone totally wireless, the mic preamp isn't in the mixing panel --- it's in the wireless transmitter. Everyone that I know who uses wireless almost exclusively feeds the mixer line level signals. At line level, there are very few if any discernible differences in the inputs amongst all these low cost mixers.

I've used the Behringer X32 quite a bit and found the preamps to be quite good. It helps that Behringer bought Midas and incorporated some of it's circuit designs and technology into these consoles.

I have used the X32 for some foley work and the pres were very quiet and nice sounding, which is more than I can say for many other products. The graphic EQs aren't very good, though.

Mark O.

The sad reality regarding most of these discussions about the quality of mic preamps in low cost mixers is that for all those people that have gone totally wireless, the mic preamp isn't in the mixing panel --- it's in the wireless transmitter. Everyone that I know who uses wireless almost exclusively feeds the mixer line level signals. At line level, there are very few if any discernible differences in the inputs amongst all these low cost mixers.

Yes exactly. I would rarely if ever use the preamps myself... Not sure all the talk about it means to most people. but if it doesn't have the routing option and fader usage... then it may not be a good product for us.

I've used the Behringer X32 quite a bit and found the preamps to be quite good. It helps that Behringer bought Midas and incorporated some of it's circuit designs and technology into these consoles.

I have used the X32 for some foley work and the pres were very quiet and nice sounding, which is more than I can say for many other products. The graphic EQs aren't very good, though.

Mark O.

I assumed the same... the combined product power of the Chinese and USA...:)

Vincent: " Aren't there some feature movies mixed by some fellow forum members on such mackies. "

sure...

and I have frequently said that it isn't about the arrows...

and as our host reminds us again, the pre's in the mixer may be subservient to the pre's in the wireless TX's...

and I was at infoCOMM yesterday and saw lots of different equipment not designed for typical Production Sounbd for movies, and some of it is quite impressive.

I also saw a line of (just) decent water resistant, tough headphones and headsets designed to handle the rough use in schools.

Also saw a tiny new RE-92 Lav from EV-Telex...

AT is showing mic's that are Dante directly...

TASCAM had a large cabinet full of their antiques under a couple racks of their current professional products...

and visited the Video Devices booth (not in the Audio section of the floor, though still listed in the show guide as Sound Devices!)...

and the Behringer folks claim that the Midas line remains as top shelf as it was before the merger...

reminder: our world of Production Sound is a tiny part of the Sound business....

I looked into it a few weeks back, but there was one "feature" that was a deal breaker -- the left 8 faders are for inputs, the right 8 are for the groups/busses/matrices and NOT re-assignable to be used as input faders. To have more than 8 channels of control, you need to operate in layers on the left side. Otherwise, a very nice looking board.

It coulda been a contender... 

I'm pretty sure that in the latest version of firmware, the x32 and the x32 Compact as shown above (but not the x32 Producer version) can spill channels into the right-hand set of faders, giving you 16 input channels on your surface.

I'm pretty sure that in the latest version of firmware, the x32 and the x32 Compact as shown above (but not the x32 Producer version) can spill channels into the right-hand set of faders, giving you 16 input channels on your surface.

The Producer was the one I auditioned because it is rack mountable. The x32 and x32 Compact are too big for a cart. I liked the board, especially for its price point -  hopefully they will bring that functionality to the Producer.

Vincent: " Aren't there some feature movies mixed by some fellow forum members on such mackies. "

sure...

and I have frequently said that it isn't about the arrows...

But you also consider the Zooms of this world toys so there it must be a bit about the arrow. Btw, in archery the better arrow helps the archer, too