12v regulator

cameronlenart

Recently a piece of gear in my bag started smoking and stopped working so it was sent back to my dealer for a post mortem. Have just heard back from manufacturer and they said it was either a polarity issue or a power surge, I have checked the cable and it seems to be wired correctly, ie centre to centre outer to outer, so that leaves me thinking it was a power surge. I use a NP-1 to Remote audio BDS and am looking for advice on a 12V DC regulator to put between the BDS and the piece of gear that was affected. Looking for lightweight, low RF noise output. Thanks!

Hi Cameron,

I'm curious to know a couple of specifics: 1) What type of NP-1 battery you were using, and 2) What equipment smoked?

Some Lithium NP-1 batteries can come off of the charger with a potential of 17 volts, which can cause damage to some equipment spec'd for nominal 12volts. Most 12V equipment made today that we use in a bag is OK for the brief 17 volt moment, so it would be good to know what you were powering that smoked.

Also, the power requirement of a particular piece of equipment will determine the capacity and heat dissipation needed for a regulator.

Glen Trew

Hey Glen,

1. Global Media Pro 75WH (http://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A2HGB8/Globalmediapro-Li75N-Lithium-ion-Battery-75WH/)

2. Zacom cameralink transmitter (TRX900CL)

It was some hours into the shoot which leads me to believe, from the advice I've been given, the most plausible explanation is that the power cable shorted out. Pretty unfortunate but apparently the component that went is inexpensive and the dealer is sourcing and replacing the part for me. So i think I will just make a new cable for it and forget about the regulator.