Corrupted files question....

Paul

I recently recorded a series of wave files for on-camera spots on my 664 that became corrupted.

I replayed files throughout shoot and when i turned mixer on at end of day to offload and backup, some of the files were corrupted and unreadable on CF card. SD card was full and not a backup option. Fortunately, i also recorded tracks to camera that ended up primary audio for the small portion of corrupted files. Found out following day card was a Delkin CF card with serial numbers that indicated it was part of a problemic batch not too long ago, so card was pulled from my rig and replaced with a new one. I have been stymied trying to recover or save the corrupted files. Any suggestions?

Anyone have the same problem and solve it?

Thanks...

6193 (whoever you are) welcome: " SD card was full and not a backup option. "

huh??

" Any suggestions? " move on, and next time, do not use unapproved media, and put in another SD card when the one mounted is full. 

" Anyone have the same problem and solve it? " well, you just did.

6193 (whoever you are) welcome: " SD card was full and not a backup option. "

huh??

" Any suggestions? " move on, and next time, do not use unapproved media, and put in another SD card when the one mounted is full. 

" Anyone have the same problem and solve it? " well, you just did.

6193 I think is friends with TVC-15....

The Senator pretty much says it all...

This is a no brainer.... you have to make sure the Backup card has available room for new data... or...it's not going to work as designed for a backup...  

Hope you sort it out...

Hey Tyler-

Thanks for your help. This was my first post and i was warned by a fellow soundman that there are smartasses,malcontents

and know-it-alls that frequent these forums- Thank you to "The Senator" et al that did not disappoint. I was actually looking to find out something i didnt already know.

Yeah, there are BIG egos in this forum.  All people judge on your actions, but these guys judge you by your moniker.  They'd probably judge you on your skin color too.  (They'll scream now that I've said that, but really, is there a difference?)

@OP - Here is the Youtube clip that Tyler had in his article.  Nice info Tyler, thanks for posting the fix!

"Yeah, there are BIG egos in this forum.  All people judge on your actions, but these guys judge you by your moniker.  They'd probably judge you on your skin color too." Okay Mirror, we've been down this road before. "Big egos"? "these guys"? Please, have a little more respect for everyone else and be glad that I haven't made it a real issue this whole anonymity thing. Remember, you, "Mirror", are the poster guy for this issue and have been more vocal than any of the rest of "these guys" on the issue.

Okay Jeff.  Thanks for the heads up. Now i have, or use a name. No conspiracy theories here. When i signed up, i picked what was easy- not evasive. Still learning the ropes and culture

of using this site, but getting deeply cynical about the personalities on it passing judgement on others. The sound community i have been working in for the the last 25 years is very helpful, smart and direct, not snarky and nasty to like some of this bunch. Not sure i'll use the site all that often after all..

Thanks Mirror. Much appreciated. I purchased my own gear not long ago and i've been learning the ropes of digital files and workflow. Some people are obviously out of the box experts- Not me.  I still believe in passing along knowledge and experience no matter how pollyannish it may sound!

"Christ you know it aint easy- you know how hard it can be

The way things are going- they're gonna crucify me"

-Lennon/Beatles

Have a nice summer.

paul in Mass: " I was actually looking to find out something i didnt already know. "

we have ano idea what you already know, and it isn't that much, based on your initial post, which sounded pretty amateur; what were you doing for those 25 years? you need to do some book learnin' and a lot of catching catching up... In fact perhaps you don't belong on a professional forum.  you might be a poster child for "it isn't about the arrows, it is about the archer";

for some reading: Jay Rose's books at www.dplay.com and Rick Viers' Location Sound Bible at www.mwp.com  and of course spend some time reading at jwsoundgroup.net

Edited by studiomprd

"Still learning the ropes and culture of using this site, but getting deeply cynical about the personalities on it passing judgement on others. The sound community i have been working in for the the last 25 years is very helpful, smart and direct, not snarky and nasty to like some of this bunch. Not sure i'll use the site all that often after all..."

Might be better if you just stick with the sound community you are comfortable with. None of us will be hurt if you don't use this site. Of the 9500 members we have on this site I don't think there is really a lot of "snarky and nasty" people here, but if you find it all too much then I understand, it may not be for you.

Okay Jeff.  Thanks for the heads up. Now i have, or use a name. No conspiracy theories here. When i signed up, i picked what was easy- not evasive. Still learning the ropes and culture

of using this site, but getting deeply cynical about the personalities on it passing judgement on others. The sound community i have been working in for the the last 25 years is very helpful, smart and direct, not snarky and nasty to like some of this bunch. Not sure i'll use the site all that often after all..

Thanks Mirror. Much appreciated. I purchased my own gear not long ago and i've been learning the ropes of digital files and workflow. Some people are obviously out of the box experts- Not me.  I still believe in passing along knowledge and experience no matter how pollyannish it may sound!

"Christ you know it aint easy- you know how hard it can be

The way things are going- they're gonna crucify me"

-Lennon/Beatles

Have a nice summer.

Carrying that chip on your shoulder along with a fully loaded 664 bag will likely impact your longevity in this business.

"Yeah, there are BIG egos in this forum.  All people judge on your actions, but these guys judge you by your moniker.  They'd probably judge you on your skin color too." Okay Mirror, we've been down this road before. "Big egos"? "these guys"? Please, have a little more respect for everyone else and be glad that I haven't made it a real issue this whole anonymity thing. Remember, you, "Mirror", are the poster guy for this issue and have been more vocal than any of the rest of "these guys" on the issue.

You're right, Jeff, I am more vocal than others about this issue because I get hammered the most.  I won't knuckle under others prejudice without making a noise.  

This thread is a perfect example of that prejudice.  A guy asks a legit question that is not sophomoric.  In fact, most of us would like to know the answer to the question because it will come in handy to us all at one time in our career.  And what is the first thing he gets beat over the head with?  The fact that his moniker is a #.  He was judged by his name and not by the content of his question.

Ha! I would never have guessed this topic would become my new favorite.

Paul, you seem to be very thin skinned and easily offended. Not a good attribute for a sound man. No one is persecuting you. You screwed up and seem to think there might be a magic solution to your problem. I also find it funny that your defender is mirror who also feels persecuted by the world at large and most members who post here @jwsound. Mike gave you great advice when he said "move on". I hope you learned media management and proper workflow. Just remember, it's not a mistake if you learn from it.

CrewC

mirror: " A guy asks a legit question that is not sophomoric.  ... And what is the first thing he gets beat over the head with?  The fact that his moniker is a # "

sorry mirror,  his question was what I noticed first: " some of the files were corrupted and unreadable on CF card. SD card was full and not a backup option. Fortunately, i also recorded tracks to camera that ended up primary audio for the small portion of corrupted files. Found out following day card was a Delkin CF card with serial numbers that indicated it was part of a problemic batch not too long ago, so card was pulled from my rig and replaced with a new one. I have been stymied trying to recover or save the corrupted files. Any suggestions?

Anyone have the same problem and solve it?  "

that isn't sophomoric, it is newbie naive, and perhaps you are charging your clients too much!

Edited by studiomprd

Mike,

You are right, the cause of the problem was a noob mistake, and I am content in letting noobs sit in their own stink. It was Tyler's fix that fascinated me - "How to fix a corrupted file".

...and you know I can't lay off of the anonymous thing...Ha!

Mike,

You are right, the cause of the problem was a noob mistake, and I am content in letting noobs sit in their own stink. It was Tyler's fix that fascinated me - "How to fix a corrupted file".

...and you know I can't lay off of the anonymous thing...Ha!

Kind of funny, Mirror, how not too long ago we had a similar conversation, but from reverse angles. At least your part was.

Anyway, as is so often the case, even a seemingly banal problem can turn up replies that are interesting to many.

Mirror....
I don't understand your point about being " beat over the head with his name being a number"?
The Senator said basically nothing... And I made a very small joke about it... Meaning only some lighthearted fun....

Now.. If anyone is upset, threatened, irritated, shocked or offended over that, than I would immediately find a new job... In our world on a real set they would last 10 seconds... seriously now...  Some of the Grips I work with would have someone offended by these posts sniveling and hiding behind some flat...
  You Mirror I think could use a bit more of an open mind and the realization that not everyone is out to get you. This is just conversation... That's all... Some direct and to the point... Some fun and some neutral.... Fact is... Don't read too much into it... We're all cohorts here, and just like life we all come in different flavors.... Let's try to simply be tolerant...

Mike I do not think wishes to be hostile... Just direct... I had 30 professors in college that made him look like a sweetheart... Nobody was shocked.... It's life... He is in a way.. simply teaching... 
Take it easy... It's all good... This is NOT a tough room... that would be the set... Lets all get a grip..    8)

I hope you learned media management and proper workflow. Just remember, it's not a mistake if you learn from it.

These are very wise words. My line from digital post is: "OK, we'll never make that mistake again. We'll make a new and much more interesting mistake next time! I never like to repeat."

Mirror....

I don't understand your point about being " beat over the head with his name being a number"?

The Senator said basically nothing... And I made a very small joke about it... Meaning only some lighthearted fun....

Now.. If anyone is upset, threatened, irritated, shocked or offended over that, than I would immediately find a new job... In our world on a real set they would last 10 seconds... seriously now...  Some of the Grips I work with would have someone offended by these posts sniveling and hiding behind some flat...

You Mirror I think could use a bit more of an open mind and the realization that not everyone is out to get you. This is just conversation... That's all... Some direct and to the point... Some fun and some neutral.... Fact is... Don't read too much into it... We're all cohorts here, and just like life we all come in different flavors.... Let's try to simply be tolerant...

Mike I do not think wishes to be hostile... Just direct... I had 30 professors in college that made him look like a sweetheart... Nobody was shocked.... It's life... He is in a way.. simply teaching... 

Take it easy... It's all good... This is NOT a tough room... that would be the set... Lets all get a grip..    8)

It was Jeff's post #8 that I thought was asshole-ish.  Or at least a summation of some of the egos here.

Thin skinned?  PAAA-LEESE girlfriend!  

Kind of funny, Mirror, how not too long ago we had a similar conversation, but from reverse angles. At least your part was.

Anyway, as is so often the case, even a seemingly banal problem can turn up replies that are interesting to many.

I see it as different.  The past thread that you are referring to was about something that was basic Sound 101, and it was coming from someone calling himself a professional mixer.  This thread differs in that the OP knew he made a noob mistake but wasn't asking WHY it happened, but how to fix the consequence, a corrupted file.  I don't believe more then 10% of the members here knew how to do that.  Fixing corrupted files is advanced knowledge.  Thinking that hiding a bluetooth headset on an actor is the correct solution instead of using a Phonak Invisity earwig is bush league.

I think it's downright rude to call one's host names because they don't like his house rules! If a person has issues with the house rules, perhaps they're in the wrong house.

Participating here is not a right; it's a privilege -- one made possible by our gracious host.

Bad manners seldom underscores a point favorably.