What Does a $1 Chinese Lavalier Mic Sound Like?

Marc Wielage

Here's an 8-minute video from a guy named D.J. Clark testing various mics on a rooftop in China, including a $1 lavalier:

What concerns me is that morons will watch this and assume that instead of paying $350 for a Sanken COS-11 or a DPA lav, they can get by with a $1 knock-off just as well. 

The good news is, Mr. Clark does at least promote the concept that often, microphone position makes the biggest difference. 

Well, you cannot help a moron, except for pointing him in the right direction. Of course, at first when you point your finger at the moon, the moron will look at the finger :)

as for the microphones, the most important thing is how the signal recorded thru them (and the whole chain counts here, mic->preamp->recorder) will respond to post production processes (eq, compression, etc) I find that the best microphones are very flexible in that matter.

Just bought  some osc tech mics though, i wonder how they will stack up in post compared to dpa's I'm so used to. Any comments on that?

Thanks for the video.

The most telling segment (and I quote):

"…In this test I have two microphones running. One a tie clip here and one a shotgun microphone overhead. Now, this is the ideal setup and what they often use in professional documentary recording. They have this more full sound, as they say, with this combination of two sounds."

Really bad for prospective sound mixers to watch misleading videos such as this. While I have mixed in a boom with lavs for documentaries (in post, I hasten to add), this technique can be used to add a bit of ambiance, not to get this amateur's "more full sound" as he calls it -- which, of course, is a home-grown recipe for bad sound, replete with phase issues.

Warning to new mixers, don't try this at work.

Trying not to hijack.

Exception to the Rule, It Depends, Don't Try This at Work, and all the Usual Disclaimers.

While I have mixed in a boom with lavs for documentaries (in post, I hasten to add), this technique can be used to add a bit of ambiance, not to get this amateur's "more full sound" as he calls it -- which, of course, is a home-grown recipe for bad sound, replete with phase issues.

A few days ago, I used the (C-standed) boom for main pickup of an interview. The office we were shooting had a rather strange reverberation. Cos-11 on its own sounded terribly roomy. But it was great to add a bit of ambience to the very dry sound from the KMR 81.

Whatever works.

• 2 weeks later...

$1 lav mic, my op. : I suppose I could save money outfitting myself with $1 microphones and work with them to get decent tracks, but I don't see any competitive advantage there that I can offer to the producers who hire me. Professional gear is built to provide confidence, and I'm trying to maintain my own confidence as well. I'm always trying to prepare for the "what ifs" like "what if the cheap lav wire breaks in the middle of an important shot..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the Oscarsoundtech exclusively for a couple month reality show and now I'm exclusively (day to day) using Sanken COS-11's I know this has been discussed to death but one main difference I see in the two is that first I prefer the sound of the TL-40's when they work properly to the sound of a sanken, they are crisp clear and don't need much crap in reality post to help them out. But the Sankens are a clear winner in durability, I've not known of one to completely lose it's "sound" even when you can tell it is going bad due to salt or sweat or something. The TL-40's can go out (obvious loss of clarity) randomly due to their cheaper nature probably....the other main issue I've found is that the Sankens are extraordinary at cutting down on rustling in comparison to the TL-40's. Using the same techniques practically the rustle on a TL-40 takes a lot more fixing most likely due to their freq response/ more intelligent construction than a Sanken...this makes for way less stressful days...unless I got drastically better at micing techniques overnight. Also I am actually using mounts and vamp clips that were designed for the sanken.