Q5X wireless, who, why, with what?

Philip Perkins

I saw a video clip recently with a surfer wearing a waterproof Q5X TX, and the director (doing sound) holding a receiver that looked to be about the size of a 411 (maybe a little thicker).  They were getting boffo range out over 600m of water from the beach (although they were in a remote area).  I see that these are the TX that are used on many pro sports players for in-game audio--success in that situation gets my attention.  So what's the knock on these things--why do they never turn up in bags and on carts?  I've only heard them at trade shows (so I really haven't heard them thus), is there a sound or companding issue?   The RX are cheap….   Anyone used these for doco or drama?

(Control your impulses, Senator, I have done searches.  I'm interested in the anecdotal experiences of known JW members with these units.)

philp

I considered these for a job recently that I ultimately didn't do. They rent through third party vendors, though not the usual suspects, and inventory seemed very low in my experience. They were not all that expensive though, maybe $100-150 per channel per day, IIRC.

At the time (last year) there were only rack-based receivers available, though their rep said they were coming out with a portable receiver soon, so perhaps that's what you saw.

Seems like an awesome system!

E.

these have been discussed here before, though they have not gained traction with our crowd; maybe because they are pricy..?

The prices on their site are very competitive with Lectro, and a little less than a Zax with all the options.    I'm looking for reasons why people who have used them either didn't buy them or didn't stick with them, since they look like they'd be easy to hide, take abuse and seem to have great range.  Particularly re sound quality, limiters etc. as well as support.  

philp

Well, one major issue is that the transmitters revolve around built-in rechargeable batteries, and if that battery runs out, that unit is taken out of commission until it is recharged. Other issues for me: the waterproof transmitter comes hard-wired to a particular lavalier, so you're stuck with what you've got; they make models with interchangeable lavs, but my understanding is those are not waterproof.

I think the biggest reason these haven't caught on more in our niche is there's just not as complete a system in place (for bag and cart) as the other big brands, at least as of yet.

All that said, I think the transmitter form factor would be perfect for hiding in wardrobe, and the concept of a thin, rechargeable (and flexible!) battery system is a great concept, at least as another option to the AA-based transmitters.

E.

PP: " why people who have used them either didn't buy them or didn't stick with them, "

but in fact, many folks who have used them have bought them, and are sticking with them,  however, they have picked a couple of other little niche's to specialize in.

as to the original question: who, why, with what..?

I see these products in racks deployed on major sports events (big truck remotes) in racks also containing Shure and Sennheiser wireless systems.  that seem to be one of their target markets...

I used them on a series last year in the Caribbean. We had to do shooting around water with people para sailing and jet skiing. The production had already rented them as I came on the project. The transmitters are small and easy to conceal. I didn't like the fact that the transmitters had internal batteries that had to be charged so using the units on a daily basis meant you had to have extra transmitters to swap out as batteries died. The receivers are large and cumbersome, meant for racks and not for bags. For bag work I had some units tuned to  Sennheiser receivers.

The transmitters themselves work well around water. I did have a unit go down but it was one of their earlier model transmitters and it had a faulty sliding panel that provided access to the on/off switch which had to be depressed with a small screwdriver or pin. The range is fine especially if using the larger rack mounted receivers and dipole antennas. I haven't considered buying any of these units myself as the manufacturers have been taking their time with coming out with a receiver that works in a bag. It seems they spend all their R&D time and money on the transmitter. I recently bought 2 Lectro waterproof wireless transmitters and diversity receiver. The transmitters are not nearly as small but the kit is easier to use in a bag. I can and do also use the Lectro units as an audio link to the camera something the single purpose Q5X can't easily do.

I have heard that they are used in the NBA to wire players because of their size.

That and that they are made on purpose to not hurt someone who falls onto them--I'm sure the leagues made very sure about that all.

Thanks for the description of use on that Caribbean shoot, that's what I was looking for.  Good to know that RX made by other companies worked ok with the Q5 TX.

philp

I'll second what Margus said. I used them to wire football players for a series similar to Hard Knocks here in Canada. The flat, somewhat malleable transmitter was perfect for the players, as the equipment manager just taped it between two layers of the pads and the players didn't even know it was there. The range was pretty good too, especially in a crowded RF environment. As others said, the rechargeable batteries in the transmitter were a bit of a drawback, but they lasted a long time, and were never an issue for me. I just re-charged overnight. Also, as mentioned previously, the rental house used Sennheiser receivers matched to the QX transmitters. Kind of a pricey "niche" investment, but certainly work well for their intended purpose.

That and that they are made on purpose to not hurt someone who falls onto them--I'm sure the leagues made very sure about that all.

Thanks for the description of use on that Caribbean shoot, that's what I was looking for.  Good to know that RX made by other companies worked ok with the Q5 TX.

philp

The League prolly has at least as much concern, regarding the Playas stepping on something else...

BTW, has anyone established a Zaxcom water resistant/proof, transmitter solution that they are happy with?

Thank you very much

Fury

Hi guys.

A smallish hire company I work for in Melbourne have some of the player mics. As far as I know they are used almost every weekend for AFL telivition broadcast. Capturing interviews of comintators to the players as they are on the field. Lectro IFB tx are also used in this scenario.

Just some info on them from Australia.

So, if the transmitter's transmissions are able to be received by sennheiser receivers, has anyone tried to receive the signal on a lectro 411 in a compatability mode?

I wrote to them a month ago asking this question. They responded that the Q5X was not compatible with the Lectro system. What a pity...

Paulo