Q5X wireless, who, why, with what?

Philip Perkins

any day now quantum may release a bag type receiver, they've been working on one for about a year…

last fall i played with a prototype for a mls team i work with, the team purchased (or will purchase when ready) a full kit with rack & bag receiver sets, plus optional remote control to adjust gain, frequency, power, so on …

my biggest complaint is the low power tx rf output , for a soccer size stadium scenario i prefer more than 100mw for consistent usage of audio tx … but they are working on creating higher output tx however it will come at a shorter battery life (still est 2hrs)

these mic are the only player mic scenarios some pro sports leagues will allow because of their form factor … nba / mlb / mls prefer

folks at quantum are very enthusiastic to accommodate their clients, however they don't deliver very quickly, but if that mean a more solid product gets delivered then i guess they should take their time

I used these while doing some work for a company that was doing live broadcasts of players during arena football and minor league hockey games last year.  The company had some sort of partnership with Quantum so they were given a bunch of transmitters and receivers.

The transmitters are pretty slim and actually somewhat flexible (like a hard rubber), wouldn't be too worried about a player landing on it and didn't receive any complaints about wearing them.  Didn't have any break except a few mics at the connector.  

We were using Countryman B6's that were wired with the Q5X connector (by Quantum), so I'd imagine you could use a variety of lavs with them, but don't recall if the connector was waterproof.  I think they had tested trams and a couple other mics prior to settling on the B6's.  

They worked well for the situation, the remote activation was pretty flawless - we wired up the players pads before the game, and were able to power them on from a distance once they took the field/ice and power off in between periods/quarters to save battery life.  Q5X has a computer program to power them on and off, adjust gain and frequencies remotely, but it's Windows only.  

The transmitters I used were the QT-1000 "player mics" and the receivers were the QR-2000 rack mounts.  As far as I know they still don't have individual belt pack style receivers.  Definitely a solid system, but geared more towards sporting events than anything else.

field: " Interesting. and curious did they happen to give the technical reason? "

:wacko:

because "it is not compatible" is a technical reason, and all we need to know!

The technical reason I was hoping to discover, was the type that an engineer might enlighten us with, a reply of the type mr Larry Fisher might share, one to further inform the particularly interested parties. Should an answer come forward I would appreciate you not reading it and be happy with "it's not compatible".

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny reading all the comments about them targeting niche markets. When I spoke to the owner of Quantum (a few years ago now) and asked hime why they didn't have a bag style receiver, he said they were working on it but it wasn't a priority at the time because they considered the bag receivers a niche market. lol.

• 4 years later...

Was looking at getting replacement wireless and was seriously considering quantum 5x offerings. Was interested in 6 systems. I liked their small transmitters. When I inquired for purchase in Toronto they referred me to Reynald Trudel at silent sound. I asked if there was another dealer and was told no that he was the exclusive dealer for their products in Toronto. Well sadly that was the end of my interest in their products. It's to bad they Reynald was the best that they could get for someone to represent the products in Toronto.   Ended up getting Zaxcom and have not looked back.   Hopefully they will find someone to better represent their products. 

• 7 months later...