ERX2TCD version 1.30

glenn

We have just released new software for the ERX2TCD. Version 1.30. This version should eliminate the error message that a Denecke slate displays when auto detecting TC rates from an ERX2 TC source.

While ERX2 time code has always been within the SMPTE specification. There have been issues with RED cameras reading the ERX code. Red has confirmed to us that the problem is on their end. This new software may eliminate the RED problem as the ERX2 TC output is now closer to the ideal SMPTE code specification and may be easier for the camera to read.

Glenn

Fury reporting,

First, thanks very, very, much too Glenn, for working on this accommodation, for the RED Dragon's issue.  Way above and beyond.

Using build 1.30, with ERX's TC out, still no joy @ 23.98, but all Green at 24 & >.  Walking the code up and down, after synch, still no joy.

Glenn is aware and taking another look...stay tuned.

Thank you very much

Fury

Glen

In addition to RED issues with timecode jamming it is also an issue with Alexa XT cameras when in the regen mode on the Alexa.  It will cause a timecode error indication on the camera.   The only way to rectify this problem is to go into the jam sync mode.  This is not practical as the reason for keeping the box on the camera and in the regen mode assures proper timecode sync if the DP decides to shoot high speed and then back to sync at 23.98.  

Thanks

Michael

I thought ARRI didn't want any type of TC constantly being fed to camera? On Alexa jobs, there is generally an AC (or a few) and I hand them an ERX (or an SB3) to jam after flipping in and out of slow motion or whatever.

Maybe this will change with the Amira, since it's intended for Doc/ENG style work.

Actually a SB-3 works fine on all Arri cameras in the regen mode.  It is only the ERX2TCD that has problems with this.  Either it is a amplitude problem or it is an issue when the ERX2TCD goes out of range and it re jams when back in range and it sends a time code pulse to the camera that it doesn't like.  I have a hard time trusting an AC to be diligent enough to re jam the camera every time the operator decides to change the frame rate and then go back to 23.98.

Glen

In addition to RED issues with timecode jamming it is also an issue with Alexa XT cameras when in the regen mode on the Alexa.  It will cause a timecode error indication on the camera.   The only way to rectify this problem is to go into the jam sync mode.  This is not practical as the reason for keeping the box on the camera and in the regen mode assures proper timecode sync if the DP decides to shoot high speed and then back to sync at 23.98.  

Thanks

Michael

+1 I've had this problem with the Alexa and ERX2. I contacted Zaxcom about it but they never got back to me

I would try it with the new version 1.30 ERX software. I do not think there would be any problem with Alexa unless the fault is in the camera. We of course will work with any camera manufacture to resolve a problem like this.

Glenn

Glenn,

Thanks for addressing this issue.

I have also noticed this issue with multiple Alexas.

Specifically, with the ERX2TCD riding the camera at 23.97ND, "incompatible frame rate" error in the information window (while in pro res 4444 and 422 formats), and "break in timecode" error (while shooting arri raw with Alexa XT).  I've never seen this issue using Denecke SB-3's on these cams.  

Update,

Fury uploaded the Beta 5.2.21, to RED Dragon and the 1.30 to ERX.   Although it only happened once and for 2 seconds (approx.), the 
TC" went green on RED's display, then, sadly back to no joy at 23.98.  Fury was alternately ebullient and crestfallen...

But!  seems as though progress is being made.  Also, it seems that the issue relates to reading the incoming signal, from those devices that don't have a native generator , for the non-integer (23.98) TC, which has a tiny bit, albeit present of jitter added, to keep the time, so to say.  Stay tuned...

Thank you very much

Fury

Michael: "  I have a hard time trusting an AC to be diligent enough "

well, it is their job...

(and we wonder why we often are at odds with the camera folks ?)

It is their job, but it also sometimes falls in our laps as well.  Especially considering every shoot has different manpower and a different workflow.  Nobody likes to point fingers after a mistake happens!  It's best just to nip it in the bud and let the box ride.  

I have just tested our 2 red dragons with the new ERX v1.31 and the dragon will not acknowledge the code at 23.98. Mmm that's a bit boring, I can get it to accept the denecke ts3 code but after a few hours of not re jamming the dragon reverted to its internal code. Despite the known Red timecode reader problem I need to know where zax is at with this as my intention is to run with the ERXs as I am a zax guy and that is what I am geared around. Anyone know if there is an advancement on this issue.

Tony

I have just tested our 2 red dragons with the new ERX v1.31 and the dragon will not acknowledge the code at 23.98. Mmm that's a bit boring, I can get it to accept the denecke ts3 code but after a few hours of not re jamming the dragon reverted to its internal code. Despite the known Red timecode reader problem I need to know where zax is at with this as my intention is to run with the ERXs as I am a zax guy and that is what I am geared around. Anyone know if there is an advancement on this issue.

Tony

Hi Tony!

With the current ERX TC generator, there apparently cannot be less jitter than is currently in the build just released, for non integer TC.  What does seem a bit perplexing, is that although other camera issues occur, as regards TC, with Zax and OTHER devices, it is only now, all  these months after Dragon was released (granted only recently in large numbers) that this TC issue has taken such prominence. Most be a lotta Dragon believers...

Thank you very much

Fury