ERX2TCD version 1.30

glenn

JP: " I thought ARRI didn't want any type of TC constantly being fed to camera? "

based on ..?

?)

Based on this thread from 2011

I know a few people had working results with a sync box (as the thread gets into). I used boxes on jobs where production, via post, insisted on it, so I assumed it worked.... though I only work in the field so I don't know what happens in post. I also don't know what happened before I was on the job. The one I am specifically thinking of was a documentary that had traveled around the country hiring local sound mixers and had a few different cameras.

Please note that in version ERX-131 the extra fine precision timecode output is only available when the TC-JAM MUTE TIME is set to non-zero.

The reason for this is the audio output can be adversely effected in super fine mode since everything has to be sample rate converted up to 96kHz sample rate and there are some limitations on running this fast.  I may have to just try an entirely different route here.

There are two sources of jitter, one is the odd ball frame rate where the math needs to be tweaked every so often for everything to line up with the audio DAC sample rate.

The other source of jitter is when the ERX phase locks to an external timecode signal - in this case it needs to speed up and slow down the timecode a little to maintain a lock to the wireless signal.  An experiment to try would be to see if the camera likes the code when the ERX is not receiving a wireless timecode signal.

-howy

Please note that in version ERX-131 the extra fine precision timecode output is only available when the TC-JAM MUTE TIME is set to non-zero.

The reason for this is the audio output can be adversely effected in super fine mode since everything has to be sample rate converted up to 96kHz sample rate and there are some limitations on running this fast.  I may have to just try an entirely different route here.

There are two sources of jitter, one is the odd ball frame rate where the math needs to be tweaked every so often for everything to line up with the audio DAC sample rate.

The other source of jitter is when the ERX phase locks to an external timecode signal - in this case it needs to speed up and slow down the timecode a little to maintain a lock to the wireless signal.  An experiment to try would be to see if the camera likes the code when the ERX is not receiving a wireless timecode signal.

-howy

Hi Tony,

Fury tried that in February, using the ERX Tc, available at that time-no joy on 23.98 or 24, as well as some others.

With 1.30 also failed.

1.31. is next to try.

Thank you very much

fury

Yes Senator agreed it would be nice for Red to acknowledge this issue but I have had years of frustration with Red right from the first build of the Epic, your heart sinks when you find out the movie you are about to start is shooting on Red, I had thought we had moved on from their problems, clearly not.

Howy thanks so much for explaining the problem I wish there was a workaround other than jamming with my denecke slate or using lockits which I don't own. I would rather leave a devise like the ERX on the cam full time receiving code from me rather than a jam where the Red takes over. I will see where we are at after the sync test comes back and once again thanks to Howy and Fury for the front line knowledge.

Isn't this site a great resource what would we do without it.

Tony

TJ: " it would be nice for Red to acknowledge this issue "

I get the feeling from Sarge's posts that RED has acknowledged...

Hi Hon. Senator Mike!

Copy that.  Fury has it on first hand information, that RED has acknowledged the problem is on their end.  Having said that, Fury has also learned that Zaxcom (Howie) has NOT acquiesced just yet.  He is going to try a rather intensive effort, with low pass filtration, etc., to modify the TC output and maybe that will yield a working accommodation, for RED Dragon and 23.98.  It won't be Monday, however, so stay tuned...

Thank you very much

Fury