Zaxcom TRX files, Zaxconvert - how to edit files and preserve the TC?

Matthias Richter

every now and then I transfer some files from a Zaxcom TRX to my computer using Zaxconvert. Since I just wanna hand over the takes and not all the (private) stuff inbetween I need to edit the files.

So far I just use audacity which ignores the TC.

I am looking for a solution to edit the files to my liking and have files that still have the camera-matching TC.

Is that possible without one of the expensive programms?

Thanks, Matthias

thanks - but that doesn´t work for me. I need to find the bits (takes) by scrolling / listening through the material, mark and export it. It´s for the moments where e.g. camera drives away in a car doing some shots with an actor and coming back to the base. I´ll get a rough time-window (say 20minutes) and I know they shot 5 takes.

I "could" find the bits using audacity and do a calculation what TC it translates into and go back to Zaxconvert. Rather headspinning after a 12h day.

I think this will do what you need:

http://www.bwfwidget.com/html/bwf-o-matic.html

Wow that's amazing! As a registered user of BWF Widget Pro I'd forgotten I had this!

Thank you very much for reminding me, as even though it's Windows only it's still a very useful tool.

Matthias's requirement even with Pro Tools is still a cumbersome operation as there's still no real autospot.

Pro Tools offers autospot but it doesn't mean it!

So BWF o Matic is great.

Update -

BWF o Matic dosn't seem to get on with 24bit files so much less useful  :(

thanks for the hint!!

a not so bad workaround:

say I know the takes are around 6pm (TC 18:00:00:00). I import the clip from 18:00:00:00 to 18:20:00:00 into audacity. Move the clip on the timeline to exactly 18:00. Look for the bits / takes I need, mark them, note the time-marker IN and OUT which translates exactly to the TC I need. Go back to Zaxconvert and translate the file again, but this time just the bits (takes) I want.