Vintage equipment

laserdanger

Firstly, I hope this is in the right section.

I know a lot of green individuals to the field have asked about vintage gear and its suitability to use in the field. I notice that a lot of the users have anecdotal evidence of their trusty 416T still working for example. Something that I have never seen discussed is the fact that some of these old mics have been kept in rotation for their whole lifespan which to my knowledge is part of why they are still ticking. 

This is just a theory on my part, I'm pulling from my experience with vintage 60s/70s Fender guitar amps. I've seen 50s amps playing great with minimal to no service because they've been continuously played and used for their lifespan. Also, to my knowledge by using them and have current go through caps it helps slow their deterioration to my understanding.

Just my observation. If someone has a more technical understanding I'm all ears. But as I see it it's just another reason to plug in those old mics once in a while. 

-Dan

I observe the opposite: a piece of gear that has been sitting unpowered for a long time gets less likely to work right when finally powered up the longer it sits.  This is an unscientific observation, I will admit, but I'm old enoung that I have a lot of what might be termed "vintage" gear and that's what I see.

philp

Speaking of vintage gear, does any one know why this meter from a Nagra has a "Groove Depth" marking on it?

I had never noticed this on my IV-S modulometer before.

From online search:

http://www.colorlab.com/filmskool/pilotonsk.html

To record on the FM center track, the time code is fed into pin 4(hot)and 1(ground)of the PILOT connector. Pins 4 and 5 of the CUE connector must be jumpered together to enable the FM record circuit in absence of pilot. Set the generator output level for 40% on the GROOVE DEPTH scale of the modulometer with the meter switch in PILOT PLAYBACK.

This may be just using the groove depth scale for another purpose...

Another search yields a better answer:

The meter itself, called a Modulometer, is a brilliant piece of intuitive ergonomics engineering, with two needles, mounted front-to-back, for right and left channels, respectively. (...)
The purpose of this orientation is to allow the simultaneous display of channel balance (the meters move as one) or stereo information (moving individually), and there is a front-panel selectable setting for the Modulometer to show channel difference information to aid in LP mastering to gauge potential groove depth.