How to export a Quicktime file with 5.1 audio?

Joe Riggs

Hello,

How do you export a Quicktime file with 5.1 audio from Final Cut Pro 7?

You would think this would be pretty simple, do x, do y, export and walla you
have a 5.1 audio file.

However, I'm running into a few issues and I'm unsure how to verify if it is indeed 5.1

Here's a couple of instructions I found:
http://fcproducer.com/2007/02/export-51-surround-sound-from-final-cut-pro/
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3284332?tstart=0

I followed the first one.

The first thing I noticed is that  once I set my 6 tracks to dual mono,  I could not hear the dialogue
track anymore within Final Cut 7 program, however I can see that it is present in the waveform.

I'm not sure why this happened maybe because I don't have a 5.1 setup, so my
computer  can't output all 6 tracks to 2 speakers?

Then when I export, how can I verify if it is 5.1? When I go to inspector I get
Xi77qM9.png

I would think it should indicate this
0vmzJjt.png

So I'm confused on the right way to export and verify it.

The problem with a 5.1 QT is that I can almost guarantee that no one will ever be able to listen to it.

If you do create a 5.1 file, it will normally play the L and R channels out the default output of the computer, which will freak everyone out and make them think you forgot the dialog. Or it may not play audio at all, which is even worse. To correctly play the file, you must have a Mac with a 5.1 output chosen in system prefs. There are only a few ways to accomplish this and even then it relies on external devices being set up properly.

Final Cut Pro 7.0.3

1. Select “File” > “Send to” > “Compressor”

2. Once Compressor is open select “Apple” > “Formats” > (For Example) “ProRes” > Select desired ProRes

Codec and drag it to the sequence that will be exported within compressor

3. Navigate to the “Inspector” > “Audio Settings” > Select “5.0” or “5.1” audio format.

4. Select desired “destination”

5. Click “Submit”

This method will export the 6 channels of audio through a single stream (still 6 isolated tracks within the single stream) and the video on a single stream leaving only 2 independent streams within the QT file. Exporting video directly out of FCP 7 (without Compressor) will export each audio track over their own stream and one for the video stream. This would give you a total of 7 streams within the QT file. I know there are some programs that have problems playing back QT files with too many streams i.e. more than two. This is something you can try to get a QT file with everything you need but with only using two streams. Will this solve the problem? I don't know but it's worth a shot if nothing else is working. I have ran into a similar problem before and this was the solution. Good luck.

EDIT: 

You can verify that the file is a 5.1 file by using VLC. Import the file to VLC > Right click > Select "Media Information". In the popup window, select the "Codec Details" tab. You will see the stream information. "Stream 0" will be the video/codec information and "Stream 1" will be the audio information. There you should see the audio channel assignments for that stream. If you see more than 2 streams, it means something was not done properly.

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty naive when it comes to 5.1

1. First is it possible to create a digital Pro Res file, with 5.1 audio, that will play back 5.1 via quicktime or VLC, or is 5.1 strictly done when creating a DVD/blu ray ? 

2. Is there any way to end up with a 5.1 audio and Pro res video  this within FInal Cut or must it be run through compressor to create the 5.1?

Ideally I'd like to end up with a Pro Res file with 5.1 audio direct from the FCP7 timeline,

instead of having to create the 5.1 in Compressor.