SONY UWP-D (with sound clips)

ninjafreddan

Hi everybody

I've borrowed a new Sony UWP-D11 system from the Swedish distributor and think it would be good to share my findings. (a small payback for the wealth of information I've gained reading this forum)

At some point I will test the supplied Sony lav mic, but my main goal is to test how well the system works in a professional environment.

First up is an AB-comparison between the Sony system and the Sennheiser G3 system. Priced almost the same, the two systems are main contenders as good prosumer wireless systems for mixer bag/camera use.

I will update this post when I have more user time with the Sony system, but for now, here's two sound files recorded with my SD664. I've also included two sound files with EQ and compression applied, just to get a feel of how well the two systems take processing.
Just line up the four sound clips on separate tracks in your DAW and solo-listen the tracks against each other.

For now, you will have to make do with the sound of my voice. :-)

Setup:
DPA 4061 lav mic with Bubblebee windscreen -> Sony UTX-B03 Bodypack Transmitter -> URX-P03 Portable True Diversity Receiver -> SD 664 (48kHz/24bit)

DPA 4061 lav mic with Bubblebee windscreen -> Sennheiser G3 transmitter -> G3 receiver -> SD 664 (48kHz/24bit)

No low-cut filtering in the Sony transmitter or in the SD664. I've kept the levels about 8-10dB below the limiters in the SD664 and both wireless systems was set to optimum levels without hitting peak in the transmitters.

I leave the discussion open and will share my personal thoughts later on.

When I have had the chance to use the Sony system in the field, with lav mic and as camera hop, I will let you know.

Feel free to post questions and suggestions.

Enjoy!

Fred
Ninja Production

Great post, exactly what some of us were hoping to see! Tack så mycket!

But yes, it's a bit disappointing. I normalized the two unprocessed tracks, then compared with meters, and then cut noise loops and bumped up volume in identical amounts. The Sony system seems to have a lower noise floor.

However, the actual dialogue sound on the Sony seemed a tad more dull and unnatural somehow, and the range either didn't give any real incentives on choosing the UWP-D instead of the G3.

• 1 month later...

Re:Polsen 10mw, 16 channels over a 17mhz band, non-locking mic connector. I'd be interested to see how their 10mw compares to other low power mics, but I think with many of these compromises, it may not be usable for professional work. As always you get what you pay for, but this seems like it could be a legit prosumer option.

Thanks for hijacking my thread!

Back to the Sony UWP-D system. I've used it in the field now. I'd say the range is equally good or even better than the Sennheiser G3, but due to the fact that the squelch isn't adjustable the Sony system sometimes mutes the sound where the G3 will pass audio with a bit of interference. When the Sony mutes the sound it can produce a rather hard click sound, maybe due to the digitally controlled compander (me guessing) - a fast fade would have been better.

The build quality gives a more robust feel compared to the G3 and my guess is that both the transmitter and receiver can take a clumsy drop on the floor without breaking. The battery compartment is rather plastic and a couple of cold fingers stressing to change batteries could probably break the thin plastic.

The digital companding seems to do some noise-reduction which is okay, but at the same time it affects the sound making the voice sound a bit processed and dull. I haven't decided yet if I think it's okay or not. The G3 sound more noisy and nasal in comparison, but that is manageable by applying filtering and noise reduction.

I do like the fact that the Sony system have more dynamics.

More report to follow...

Cheers

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk