Sound Report Writer iOS Notes

Tyler Faison

For any of you Sound Report Writer users out there, I have an update coming out soon with lots of popular feature requests and want to pick your brains on one. In the "Notes" field for each take, there will be a row of icons that will fill in with the respective text. For example, an airplane icon would automatically generate "airplane overhead".

What notes would you use most frequently use? There will be one that can be customized and one that copies from the previous take. Thanks!

Hi tyler great app ....I use it on every job for the last couple of years.

Some of The notes i  make in no particular order

1. lav mic rustle

2. BG talking

3.Noisy aircon

4.car driveby.

5. cicadas

6. plane

7. dog barking

8. noisy dolly

9. radio mic dropout

10. check lav vs boom

11. very quiet talent

12.dialog overlap

13. noisy location

14. noisy generator

(Talking face) for people talking...

(Small generator pic) Geni noise

(Car)

(slate with a line through it) No slate

(Slate with a tail) tail slate

(pic of dog)  Dog bark

(AD)  AD talking over take.     I work with a few that talk the entire time... surreal... right over everything...

One request if possible Tyler...

Is there any way to have the scene list NOT always start at the top but at the bottom when going back and forth to edit your takes data? ...  If you go back to edit some material in the scene list... You always have to scroll all the way to the bottom... edit... then go (back) button, start at the 1st take and scroll all the way to the bottom again to edit the next take towards the bottom of the list, say take 88. ....  If for example you forgot to arm a track on the report and you need to edit like 7 takes and fix it.... Thats 7 times you need to scroll to the bottom of that scene page...  Any way around that?  I know when I do it I always wish there was another way.. It is usually between takes, and it rushes things a bit...  :blink:

I am on the Android platform... hope you understand what I mean...

As always, thank you so much.

Shasta pete... RF hit.... What is that....  I heard they had those in the early 80s...  ::)   Just funnin....

great app.

wish list:

~ be able to change 'segment' to 'file number' (for recorders advancing in file numbers not scene/take).

~ would like to email just the most recent day's log (without having to create a new project for each day (when it is the same project:-)).

~ icon suggestions:

slate with '?' = possible incorrect ident/slate detail.

boom pole = boom handling issue.

end of mic in a frame = boom in shot.

producer's signature = guide track

FX vs speech bubble = loud noise on dialogue (like a door, cutlery, etc).

~ maybe in the scene section you could have icons for things like:

exterior/interior, day/night, how many people with lines/no lines, car, dolly, crane, weather fx, animals, stunts, pyros etc.

I like the idea of the icons being in the field and on the PDF, instead or as well as the text, because they'll take up less room and be quicker to read.

I'm guessing it would be hard to do but if the icons could work like tags and/or the app had a search function it would be awesome.

dan.

end of mic in a frame = boom in shot.

Do you actually make a note of the boom in shot? I always thought that I'm noting irregular sonic events. But the boom in usually sounds pretty good, so I won't make a note of it, especially since scripty will. Just curious...

Do you actually make a note of the boom in shot? I always thought that I'm noting irregular sonic events. But the boom in usually sounds pretty good, so I won't make a note of it, especially since scripty will. Just curious...

I admit i was scrapping the bottom of the barrel for some extra icons (all the most obvious had been mentioned already).

However boom in shot doesn't always get noticed by other departments (incredibly) and when it does it often gets called out so on those occasions it does become a sonic event and therefore rendering what might have been a good take (for sound) less so.

Maybe an icon representing 'good for sound, bad for camera' would be useful for post people?

daniel: " i was scrapping the bottom of the barrel for some extra icons "

why ?

OK, how about: I wasn't ready ?

why?:

why not? we live in a world where a lot of worse ideas have taken root and i try not to get too po-faced about it.

I wasn't ready?

Yeah, like a little icon of me eating donuts, reading the newspaper with my headphones hanging and an angry AD pointing at me,

i'm sure there will be dozens of photos of just that on the last shoot i did (some unpaid gig, about 3 years ago:-).

And there was me thinking i was the only one to think suggestions for icons had the potential to have a working practice scrutinised:-)

d.

rich: " rolled on rehearsal. "

then it was a take.

but a good way of making a note that we rolled on what ought to have been a rehearsal do you not think?

and certainly less preachy than going into a long discourse on the merits of rehearsing before shooting in my sound report.

Thanks for all the input so far. I should have realized this thread could have turned as dramatic as it has. There are many great options, but obviously real estate (and the brain) is limited so these won't all make it. And no, probably not "rolling on rehearsal." However, I'll include a customizable option so you can do whatever you like. In fact, they might all be customizable to some extent. I submitted an update today that only includes "copy from previous take" and several other fixes and additions. Thx again, y'all.

thats fine Tyler.

i only offered it up as its one of the presets that i use on my reports.

didnt think it got dramatic - thought it was about the normal noise level for these parts. especially as tone is hard to convey with internet postings.

thanks for your work on the app.