SD 442 to Zoom H6 - Line or Mic out?

justinstrazdas

Hi,

First off, I realize the Zoom H6 is not an ideal recorder for a field mixer. I plan to cross-grade to a Tascam DR-40 soon.

But I still want the H6 to record iso's from the direct outs.

Also, the TRS module's -12dB backup recording of my mix out is nice to have.

I wish there was a feature to set the input gain in the menu and disable the pots. For now, gaff tape works fine. Anyone hacking the firmware on these or know where I can submit a feature request?

I'm currently running everything mic out from the 442 to the H6 and not engaging any pads.

Tone on the 442 is set to the 0VU/0dBu default, and on the H6, when set to 0VU/-20dBFS, the signal hits around -17dBFS on the main meters, so I have to bring them down a bit to -20dBFS.

The Question: Should I keep it mic out to the H6 (pots around 5), or run line out and engage the -20 pad (pots around 2)? I'm just worried that I'll subtly drive them too hard, but I also realize the SD should do the heavy lifting with gain and try to avoid the H6 preamps as much as possible.

Alternately, are inline attenuators a safer bet than the H6 pads?

The Zoom is a cool unit on it's own, it's just that it's limitations quickly pile up when you upgrade by adding a field mixer. Any experiences or insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, and welcome,

if it ain't broken, don't go fixin' it !

Justin: " I'm just worried that I'll subtly drive them too hard, but I also realize the SD should do the heavy lifting with gain and try to avoid the H6 preamps as much as possible. "

if your client can't tell that you are using a zoom, then they probably won't notice any subtle differences, and if you can't notice them... do they really exist ?

and if you go through the zoom inputs, you cannot avoid the zoom preamplifiers.

Edited by studiomprd

"and if you go through the zoom inputs, you cannot avoid the zoom preamplifiers"

- Absolutely, most budget recorders just attenuate the line siganl back down to mic level and it goes through the mic preamp anyway.

I don't know if the H5/6 accepts +4dB balanced line either.. the H4n didn't. Either way the SD front-end would be preferred. prior to the Zoom, especially where a lot of gain is needed .

Thanks for the welcome and advice!

I realize I can't bypass the H6 preamps, so I wondered if keeping them as low as possible (not that they're particularly noisy) with a hotter attenuated signal was preferable.

I'm going to test running 442 line level out to Zoom H6 pad engaged and see if I can hear a difference.

I imagine that attenuators by design don't differ much, but for a bit I felt more comfortable running 442 mic level out to the H6 without a pad and a little more gain on the zoom pres.

Also, it does say in the H6 manual that you can accept +4 line with the -20 pad engaged. Also, I should just get a DR-40 for the mix outs.