Suggestions for a wireless system to use on a mountain climbing feature

Jeff Thomas

I'm doing sound on a film that will feature mountain climbers. The director want's to capture ambient sounds as we shoot safely from the bottom of the mountain. He's expecting the climbers to be about one thousand feet above us. So my question is, can anyone recommend a wireless lavalier system with a reliable operating range at that distance? We will be in the middle of nowhere, so interference from other signals shouldn't be much of an issue. I use Sennheiser G3 systems now and I'm quite certain they will not cut it. 

Cheers,

Jeff

more recent Zaxcom transmitters also allows you to turn off the wireless transmission, which makes the batteries last a lot longer. IIRC they can still receive Zaxnet, so everything will be timecode stamped. They can effectively be put into "ZFR mode". http://zaxcom.com/products/zfr-300/#product_features

The Zaxcom website also lists dealers that rent & sell their gear, and this seems like a case where internal recording is perfect.  

I don't know what kind of range something like a Lectrosonics SMQV would get up a rock face. I'm guessing really great range (assuming the antenna is not blocked by a human body), but that's a complete guess. Is there any reason *not* to just wire them and set them off? Would you need to (try to) get wireless signal while they climb (for a director or camera op) to listen without using a walkie? 

Depending on when/where they are climbing, they may have very little clothing, or they may be bundled up. Take that into consideration. Also, make sure you wire them allowing for all kinds of flexing. Some cases I like to run the wire down the back of a t-shirt, but of an actor bends over it will pull the lav (unless I was ready for that). Mountain climbing will test all of your lav mounting skills. 

Hi Jeff,
One thing recordist Tom Zane ran into many years ago recording a climb on El Capitan was the climbers had very strict preferences about their clothing and harness setup. They did not want anything that would rub the skin even through clothing. Something that was a little irritant for an hour would become a raw sore over several days. Obviously they also wanted nothing that would catch on the rocks either. Tom's transmitter ended up outside the climbing gear and literally got drug up the face of El Capitan. Several grams of aluminum are still on the face of the cliff. The picture of the transmitter is below and at the end of the article and the transmitter is in our museum. This was a VHF unit but still had close to a mile of range since everything was line of sight. Modern UHF units should have even more range.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/Links/El_Capitan-1.pdf

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher
Lectrosonics

This type of application is exactly what Zaxcom recording wireless is designed for. With great distance and unpredictable RF characteristics due to the fact the transmitter can be sandwiched between the climber and a rock face, the internal transmitter recording with time code will guarantee that all of the audio will make it to post with no dropouts of loss of fidelity due to low signal conditions. 

As the climbers will be out there for a long time the transmitters RF signal can be put into low power mode or turned off completely via remote control so that the run time of the pack can be maximized.

With Neverclip mic preamps the system will be able to do a great job collecting ambient sound with out the inevitable limiting that would happen if the climber would yell out to other climbers.

The remote control of the mic pre-amp from the ground will allow the audio level to be correctly set for any condition. If you need a demo one of our dealers in LA can assist you.

Best Wishes

Glenn

Ive done several projects like this using Lectrosonics SMQVs, but I also had quite the setup regarding antennas and amplifiers, and of course the second you lose line-of-sight you lose signal. Theres also this obvious problem: With the climbers twisting and turning about, finding a place to put the mic where it won't get buried in the clothing, or give you nothing but clothing noise (the jackets and things these people wear when it is cold can be quite loud), and the mic or pack can't be in their way for safety reasons.

However, maybe you could try using a Sennheiser mkh 816 instead of relying on wireless? The recording Zaxcom packs are also a good idea, but since you will likely not be able to monitor them at such a distance, it is hard to rely on that as a solution.

I also would be in contact with them via walkie in case something happens to the mic placement so that they can adjust it if needed. Just a thought.

For the movie I'm mixing now, we had a scene with 7 cast climbing a granite rock wall. My second boom (the excellent Dave Richards) was able to mic the climbing helmets most of the cast was wearing. It took a conversation with props to get helmets that would fit the transmitters, but they were self contained, protected, and sounded great. No issues with clothing tension / harnesses / reception etc. Use good wind protection, and they sound great.

As the climbers will be out there for a long time the transmitters RF signal can be put into low power mode or turned off completely via remote control so that the run time of the pack can be maximized.

Best Wishes

Glenn

I've got full remote gain, and full remote frequency control of TRXLA2's from my Nomad which is excellent, but have not come across transmit power control (other than with power roll which reduces or increases the transmit power in relation to record), or an option to turn transmit off altogether and presumably re-awaken it, what do you need to do this please?

Plus I presume for long range Zaxnet remote control to work beyond UHF range you'd thinking of a powerful Zaxnet 2.4Ghz booster?

I've got full remote gain, and full remote frequency control of TRXLA2's from my Nomad which is excellent, but have not come across transmit power control (other than with power roll which reduces or increases the transmit power in relation to record), or an option to turn transmit off altogether and presumably re-awaken it, what do you need to do this please?

Plus I presume for long range Zaxnet remote control to work beyond UHF range you'd thinking of a powerful Zaxnet 2.4Ghz booster?

In the zaxnet menu, there is an option to put transmitters to sleep or wake them up. It affects all transmitters, not individuals.

In the zaxnet menu, there is an option to put transmitters to sleep or wake them up. It affects all transmitters, but individuals.

So there is found it thanks, this is also useful for not having to retrieve the transmitter from talent / contibutors to save batteries, great.

post-2842-0-01774100-1407367961_thumb.jp

hi,

any Zaxcoms  with recording option. I put the Tx/recorder in a waterproof pouch on the harness or on a separate belt, depends on the climber's wish.

I got best resuts wiring the helmets and used some hose strap I stiched on the back of the helmet's headband  on one side and to the pouch on the other, inside the hose I ran the mic wire. This keeps the helmet fixed to the climber and he can't tear tear the mic cable taking off his hardhead.

To get rid of the helmet, he has to take off the pouch, this keeps your unit safely in one piece. Remember that climbers have other things to worry about but your mikes.

It is easy to hide the  hose strap under the costume. If you see some part of it, it looks like just another piece of climbing gear.

Think about good wind protection and choose the helmets together with costume or props.

For expeditions the Zaxcoms ZFR 100 we use last for 12+ hs with one battery load, but there is no monitoring option.

I also did bigwall climbing movie with Lectros and an amplified Antenna system, but this works only in line of sight and if you got to get into the wall yourself because of range issues, things may get a bit complicated.

all the best

Axel

www.axeltraun.at