In-Ear monitoring

Timlin

Hi all

I have a job coming up soon whereby the UPM has asked me to supply a reliable in-ear monitoring system that will allow the lead character to speak/cue to a "plant" character in a public place without the system being seen - either on-camera or even slightly visible to people around him/her.

One trusted supplier suggests the "Phonak" system, and they sure do appear that they'll work as I need them to, but, evidently there's none available for hire in Sydney/Melbourne, or so I'm told...

And at close to AU$6k for 1 x TX & 1 x RX, its not viable to buy for a 10 day job.

I'd be keen to learn if there are any other systems that I've not heard of etc, maybe theres other slightly cheaper options...?

Your thoughts...?

Rgd's

AT

Hi Andrew

Hope you're well.

The custom moulded earpieces from EMA are expensive too.

Around $1800 - $2000 each

They need a mould from the talent before they can make one, which means a trip to Melbourne for the talent or someone from EMA flying to Sydney to take the mould and from my experience, they never fit right from the first one they make.

It usually comes and goes from Melbourne a couple of times before it is a comfortable fit for the talent.

Once it's done right, it hides well in the ear. They hide better than off the shelf Comtek or similiar models.

We use them for our judges on my show I do every year and they work well with Lectro ifb system.

Call me if you want to chat about it in more detail.

Cheers

Peter Mega

Timlin: "  the UPM has asked me to supply a reliable in-ear monitoring system "

then the UPM (production) will need to pay for them (rental + shipping, or purchase).

IEM solutions have been discussed here frequently, including a thread started by JW this year...

depending on hairstyle, there are a lot of options that news folks use...

The beauty of using a neck loop with Lectro IFB system is the excellent range of the Lectro and it also gives the talent their own individual volume control on the R1a receiver.

Room loops or the Phonak Invisity has minimal or no volume control other than raising the gain at the transmitter which can result in distortion.

Both have pros and cons.