Mozegear TIG Q28 on a job, in a sync test

Philip Perkins

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"RE: size of the holes for the front switches

We are looking into this and will adjust the size"

Not so sure that adjusting the size of the hole is thew best idea. Possibly some mark, like a red dot or something, on the point of the arrow --- something that could be seen even through the existing hole. Ryan at Trew Audio looked at mine and we determined that it was set on "3" --- then I just studied what the setting pot looked like when pointing at "3" and I was able to set it properly (though not with complete confidence or clarity).

Well I am a little (a lot) slow on this response... sorry

We are actually starting with a label "redo" to make the hole in the label a little larger.  That may make it easier to actually see the arrow.  

I like the idea though of some color on the switch.  I agree that should make it easier to see.  I am going to play around wth that.  Thanks

Well I am a little (a lot) slow on this response... sorry

We are actually starting with a label "redo" to make the hole in the label a little larger.  That may make it easier to actually see the arrow.  

I like the idea though of some color on the switch.  I agree that should make it easier to see.  I am going to play around wth that.  Thanks

Laurie

Any chance making a battery eliminator to power the unit externally?

Not a big deal.

Can live without it.

I tested this little wonder all week next to denecke SB-3 and Denecke TSC. The accuracy is rock solid. Not even half a frame in more then 6:30 hours.

The size is shocking. I love the threaded 3.5mm connectors and standard TC 5 pin Lemo.

Now it is only natural for MOZEGEAR to make a slate...

A smaller lighter one.

10629533_10204596164643971_5380870246222

10537452_10204596164603970_9164407430189

10365355_10204596164683972_4858722707803

This great news. I am doing my own test right now. The Q28 will be a great addition to my zaxcom recorders and will take over as a master. This way I will not have to always use wireless tc and can JAM.

Also I hope Q28 works with Red Dragon.

Rado, what's your issue with the ERX method, and using the Zaxcom recorder as master TC? Aside from the fact the Q 28 is working with the Dragon right now. Accuracy?

I'm sure Rado will chime in here but I remember him saying that he wanted to free up his ERXs to do all the other things the ERX does so well (and not have any of them tied up doing the simple job of TC distribution). Also, there is the advantage of having the master TC be a physical and moveable box and not rely on any RF system.

Thanks Jeff. It seems to me the ERX is the perfect system though, for any camera that records sound too. A generator that is jammed whenever i'm in range, which is most of the time. As long as it does the job well though, which in my experience it has, with every camera I've worked with, (no Dragon yet) .

Andy and Jeff,

Zaxnet and Erx are indeed great but have one limitation :

They don't play nice with other TC devices and you have to be in range.

My denecke slate has an erx on it constantly feeding TC in read mode.

Cameras have to have erx on them.

Jaming slates and jam boxes is out of the question because the recorder will drift when it is shutdown.

I have heard from friends that 664 and 633 have similar issues when they are off.

Having a Tig Q28 in the bag will insure rock solid sync through out the day and will free erxs for ifb .

I use to do it with Denecke SB-3 but the weight and size was too much for a bag.

Andy and Jeff,

Zaxnet and Erx are indeed great but have one limitation :

They don't play nice with other TC devices and you have to be in range.

My denecke slate has an erx on it constantly feeding TC in read mode.

Cameras have to have erx on them.

Jaming slates and jam boxes is out of the question because the recorder will drift when it is shutdown.

I have heard from friends that 664 and 633 have similar issues when they are off.

Having a Tig Q28 in the bag will insure rock solid sync through out the day and will free erxs for ifb .

I use to do it with Denecke SB-3 but the weight and size was too much for a bag.

So if I'm understanding correctly, you are using the Q28 as a master clock, jamming your slate and driving the TC in your recorder (Nomad or Maxx)?

I did notice on my last gig that when I shut off my Nomad (always between takes), it did actually go out of sync by a few frames (say 7 - 10) after a few hours from the cameras that were on lockits perfectly sync'ed to each other (I jammed them directly from my Nomad). I assumed that perhaps it was time to change the coin battery in the Nomad.

I don't expect any device to keep perfect time code when it is turned off for any period of time, just like I don't expect my recorder to record very well while powered down.

I understand that. I was under the impression that the coin battery in the Nomad kept the oscillator running so that timecode could continue even while powered off. It certainly seems to be close enough by sight, even after a few hours of being off. But again, my mistake was assuming. Either way, from the Nomad manual:

NOTE: Nomad contains an internal battery that keeps accurate time even if Nomad is powered down for an extended
time. The internal battery should last between two to three years. When replacing the battery you will need a 3 volt 
CR2320 coin cell battery. 

I was just offering my view on powered down devices, not stating what anyone else's should be.

Yes, Nomad does keep the time while powered down.  However if it's powered down for any appreciable duration, I don't expect it to maintain highly accurate time code, just like I don't with any other piece of gear.  Maybe some devices do stay frame accurate, but I simply don't count on it.  I know that both Nomad and Deva will power cycle without much change in time code -- anywhere from a few hundredths of a frame to a couple of tenths according to tests I ran a while back.

One of these days, when I have a hunk of extra time, maybe I'll run some tests to see how various devices handle being powered down for an extended period.

"NOTE: Nomad contains an internal battery that keeps accurate time even if Nomad is powered down for an extended time"

Again, this is a case of having to interpret what "an extended time" really means. Some have said that the TC accuracy of Deva, Nomad and Maxx suffers when the machines are powered down, possibly retaining less accuracy than Sound Devices recorders, but in casual real world testing this has never been really quantified. I do not know of anyone actually doing a controlled bench test with the various recorders (though John B. seems to be suggesting he might do such a test). For those who are concerned about this, with whatever recorder or TC system they are using, the best approach would be a TC source that is NOT powered down serve as the master. This master TC can then be distributed (by various methods including wirelessly) to all devices.