Mozegear TIG Q28 on a job, in a sync test

Philip Perkins

I'm just trying to understand this Jack - John has mentioned that he needed to tweak his Nomad for improved accuracy. Is this down to time passed since purchase? He seems to be suggesting that he's improved the oscillator behaviour somewhat.

You're misquoting me.  I didn't say "needed to."  Just because I choose to tweak beyond published specs should not be seen as an issue with the manufacturer's specs.  That's unfair to both them and to your own piece of mind.

To put time code specs into better perspective, please take note of my comment: 

"Keep in mind that without locking every device, including cameras, to tri-level sync, the closest you can consistently achieve is within a full frame apart, as camera sync will depend upon where in the SMPTE "word" they are when placed into record and at what point they grab the time code for their start frame."

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too wish not to hijack this thread, but re: Rado's questions regarding the location where one can adjust the Nomad's oscillator, I too am curious of the location, so here's a picture of Nomad opened up from a separate thread:

José, I apologize, but don't feel confident even guessing from the photo.  I would likely need to disassemble mine to reconstruct my actions of some time ago, and that's not an option at this time.

I meant 'needed to' for more accuracy rather than because the Nomad doesn't already have a perfectly decent spec.

But, that's how internet rumors get started, isn't it.  One little misstatement like "needed to" and someone else quotes the comment as if it's a fact and there you have it.  Let's put this one to rest right now, shall we: 

As a matter of standard practice, Nomads leave the factory with their time code properly calibrated.

Perhaps it's time for another thread on Zaxcom/Nomad timecode?

That'll help keep the discussion here (more closely) related to the topic heading, will let others chime in on the current Nomad TC discussion, and will help people in the future find the discussion if they have questions about Nomad TC.

Ya, I'm being Mr. Obvious here. Still a good idea, though.

Well, on a related note.

I have been feeding my Nomad in CJam mode from TigQ28 and jamming the TS-C slate beginning of the day and feeding cameras through ERX1TCD time code.

Everything is accurate up to half a frame.

So the TigQ28 will be the Master Clock in my future setup.

I wish I could rely on Nomad accuracy but I can not.

Unless everything is zaxnet wireless jamming "which is accurate all around",  at least MY NOMAD can not be trusted to stay in sync.

I am extremely happy that I can correct this issue without adding extra weight to my bag.

JA: " I meant 'needed to' for more accuracy... I'm merely intrigued that the oscillator can be set for better accuracy. "

and JB said it wasn't needed. in fact, after his tweaking the accuracy may, or may not have been a little better; as noted, components can age over time and use... feel free to buy a master clock, and start tweaking if that will make you feel better...

Well if anything this thread has shown me the importance of a master clock and verified my suspicions of TC accuracy when powering down your main recorder (when using its TC as the master).

I for one never had any problems when everything I was maintaining TC for could read TC from a Zaxcom ERX, however since Ive been on a project working with a Red Dragon, the need for an actual sync box, and possibly a master clock, make themselves evident.

And to everyone who discussed their experiences with the Tig, I thank you :)

I like the idea of having a reliable all-day master TC source connected but I'd rather just rely on the recorder for this... Another solution is to leave your recorder on all day and re-jam everything at lunch or after about 6 hours. Pretty easy to leave the recorder powered up if you have batteries in the sled to cover NP1 changes. Of course Maxx/Nomad asks you to reboot after a card format or a memory recall...

• 4 weeks later...

After a few days of use, my power switch has become intermittent :(

Yes I am alittle concerned about the build quality of the units On/Off switch l would prefer a metal recessed toggle switch . Rest of unit feels well built though  I only bought one for now and I am going to abuse it for awhile They do carry a 2 year warranty though I am planning on keeping my 3 Denecke boxes as well. This is another great tool for the kit though 

After a few days of use, my power switch has become intermittent :(

Hi Jason,

I am surprised to hear that.  We test them carefully before they leave.  I am sorry you have had problems.

Can you send me an email at:

lauriew@mozegear.com 

I will make sure we get you another unit asap.

Thanks

Laurie

The original idea behind the LED blinking design was to give you an idea if the tc generator is free running or locked to something else.

free running - it blinks for 1 frame at the beginning of every second

jammed - 1 second on and 1 second off

cross jammed - 2 seconds on and 2 seconds off

blinking like a machine gun (thanks Will) - your battery is dying

solid - your battery is dead and you have no timecode

Note:  when it is jammed and cross jammed the transitions are always at frame 0

Basically we were attempting to reduce timecode errors.

What are you calling "cross jamming" ? 

Cross jamming is when the timecode rate that you have jammed to is not the same as the timecode rate that the timecode generator (Tig/Q28) is producing.  

Example:  You are outputting 23.976 but you are jammed to 29.97.

Since this is not always done intentionally, the blinking 2 seconds on and 2 seconds off  is also the frame rate discrepancy indicator.