Boom Pole recommendations

jwill

I have a couple of gigs upcoming where a minimum 12 ft boom pole is required, i am probably going to rent from one of the usual suspects. My question is two fold....do i rent a 12' or jump to a 16'? I have a nine foot K Tek carbon fiber pole I handle with a full blimp no real issues, and second question is which pole do you prefer?

Best

JHW

I have a couple of gigs upcoming where a minimum 12 ft boom pole is required, i am probably going to rent from one of the usual suspects. My question is two fold....do i rent a 12' or jump to a 16'? I have a nine foot K Tek carbon fiber pole I handle with a full blimp no real issues, and second question is which pole do you prefer?

If you're thinking of a 12 foot pole as your minimum then it would make sense to rent the 16 footer as it's only 1/2 pound or so heavier and you will have the extra 4 feet if you wind up needing it.

I've always liked K-Tek, although it's the only brand I've owned I've not seen a reason to go somewhere else.

Are to doing dramatic work or something more in the ENG/reality camp? If dramatic, it's my opinion that a 16+ is my standard go-to size. If you are doing ENG, that may be a bit unwieldy and a 12 foot-er could be your friend.

Other thoughts... ENG, you may favor internal coiled cable. Dramatic, I prefer uncabled or internal straight cable.

For ENG, k-tek is hard to beat.

For dramatic, I like my old style VdB's (for their weight and pole diameter) and Ambients (for when I need something seriously rigid at full extension).

The internally straight cabled PSC poles are also pretty nice.

But yeah... Reeeeealy subjective.

• 2 weeks later...