Audio Ltd 2040 VS Micron 700

olphi

Hello,

I just bought 2 new micron 7OO systems (great deal in 2 hand, as new) and use them alongside my audio Ltd 2040. I use audio Ltd since more than 10 years. I m not really convinced by the sound quality of my new micron systems. I use COS 11. The sound of the micron is more brilliant and there is a lack of low frequencies. I listen the sound on my dynaudio system and compare to the audio ltd, the sound seems more aggressive. Some of you have the same experience? Are my ears so used to the sound of Audio? I m very open to your advices.

Best regards.

Hello,

I just bought 2 new micron 7OO systems (great deal in 2 hand, as new) and use them alongside my audio Ltd 2040. I use audio Ltd since more than 10 years. I m not really convinced by the sound quality of my new micron systems. I use COS 11. The sound of the micron is more brilliant and there is a lack of low frequencies. I listen the sound on my dynaudio system and compare to the audio ltd, the sound seems more aggressive. Some of you have the same experience? Are my ears so used to the sound of Audio? I m very open to your advices.

Best regards.

Maybe the wiring on the Micron's for the lavs is slightly different, affecting the sound of the COS 11s? Might be a roll off engaged somewhere? Only guessing here cause I have little experience with either. Talk to the manufacturers?

i have micron explorer 100 systems and audio ltd 2020's. I think audio ltd sounds a little fuller, yes, but i only compared the receiver output quality. i use sony ecm77 microphones with audios, and dpa 4060 with microns. I also tuned the audio's receiver to micron's transmitter with dpa 4060, and 2020 receiver sounded a bit rounder. I am happy with both, really.

I had 700's with dpa 4071's, I rented in a couple of channels of 2040's for a job and did some tests while I had them (I just made some lemo-lemo adapters and used the same mics).

There was, in my case, not a massive difference in the midrange, they where a bit sharper but it was nothing compared to moving the mic an inch or so. The low end was better on the 2040's (I've since listened to 2040's against a few others and they seem to win every time on the lower end).

However, the noise floor on my 700's was high in comparison. They had just come back from being re-tuned to the new UK frequencies, part of that is a full service and soak test. No problems according to the factory. 

I think the explorer's are great, incredible value for money and they sound almost identical to the 700's. The 700's though, given the price are not so good when you put them up against the features, sound quality or ease of operation of the other manufacturers.

Hope that helps

Nick

I dont think micron 700 sound great with cos 11's. They are full range up to 20k but the 2040's have a nice roll off at 18k which sounds very nice and also sounds like more bottom end. I use 700's with dpa 4060 and 4061(transmitter on 2) and i think they sound great and better than 2040's but that is going into sonosax mic amps where i get the benefit of the top end ( i have also had producers and directors positively comment on this) . I have used the same into a 664 and it didnt sound quite as good. The only radio mic ive used which sounds better with my setup is the newish audiowireless systems which use the same companding system as the microns but just quieter( i have also used lectro's and zaxcom with dpa's). I havent had any noise problems with 700's either so that does sound like something is wrong i would ask Tanky at micron if you can pop in and demonstrate the problem, if you have time. Lastly i have also found the range is much better with 700 series and 2040's side by side in the same bag.

Lisala

I havent had any noise problems with 700's either so that does sound like something is wrong i would ask Tanky at micron if you can pop in and demonstrate the problem, if you have time. 

Lisala

Normally I would agree, but I had three sets of 700's, all converted to 38 and serviced within 6 months, all about 2 years ago. They all had a similar noise floor to each other, and that was a fair bit higher than 2040's. Perhaps I was just unlucky. Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't heard much better than the 2040. Great range as well. Did I hear they were going away?

Regards,

Ty Ford

I really love 2040's sound but...They have no scan, and their radio frequency range is so narrow. Nowadays a scan is very useful.
I wish to have a 2040 with a scan and a large radio range. So... they are going away...

So after several days of work with the 2 systems, i finally love the microns. I use them alongside 2040 and they sound very nice. My first impression was not the good one. Just a little more hissy than 2040. I have a little more range too. What I prefer on the Micron vs Audio 2040 is the phase switch and the on/off switch. Never been a great fan of the IR command. But the TX is a little bit bigger than the 2040 and sometimes it could be a problem.

So after several days of work with the 2 systems, i finally love the microns. I use them alongside 2040 and they sound very nice. My first impression was not the good one. Just a little more hissy than 2040. I have a little more range too. What I prefer on the Micron vs Audio 2040 is the phase switch and the on/off switch. Never been a great fan of the IR command. But the TX is a little bit bigger than the 2040 and sometimes it could be a problem.

Are you still using the Cos11 with them ?