Schoeps CMIT 5U As Wireless Boom

Karl Wasserman

Just bought a CMIT5U and am getting ready to use it in conjunction with a Denecke PS1a power supply and a UM400a transmitter. Is there a distinct wiring configuration I need to use for the boom cable itself? Redding Audio's site says:

"Special care must be taken if the CMIT 5U is used with an external phantom power supply going unbalanced into a wireless bodypack transmitter - pin-3 must be decoupled from the powering and pin-1 must remain connected. (Keep pin-2 hot and pin-1 GND)."

Am i mistaken, or does a phantom power supply not only supply power across Pins 1 and 2 anyway? What am I missing?

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Just bought a CMIT5U and am getting ready to use it in conjunction with a Denecke PS1a power supply and a UM400a transmitter. Is there a distinct wiring configuration I need to use for the boom cable itself? Redding Audio's site says:

"Special care must be taken if the CMIT 5U is used with an external phantom power supply going unbalanced into a wireless bodypack transmitter - pin-3 must be decoupled from the powering and pin-1 must remain connected. (Keep pin-2 hot and pin-1 GND)."

Am i mistaken, or does a phantom power supply not only supply power across Pins 1 and 2 anyway? What am I missing?

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Phantom Power is +48 Volts to pins 2 (hot) and 3 (cold). Pin 1 is ground.

For unbalanced connections, you usually connect cold to ground (pin 3 to 1).

The unbalanced connection is between power supply and transmitter.

I'd expect the Denecke box to have P48 properly isolated from the outputs. Though when in doubt, I'd recommend to (a) read the manual and wiring diagram of the Denecke box, and (B) contact the manufacturer if the manual leaves any doubts.

Regarding levels, I would say that experimenting with your gain structure is going to give you the best idea of how to set up your signal flow and levels :)

Yes, it goes without saying you should watch the modulation from the venue or 411 etc and adjust accordingly.  I tend to start at 25 and go from there.  

bab: " we usually have it set at 17, but I find when using a 416 it needs to be 30 or higher. "

it depends, that's why there is a control to adjust.

Is it me, or is that what I just said?

Yes, it goes without saying you should watch the modulation from the venue or 411 etc and adjust accordingly. I tend to start at 25 and go from there.