new product from MOTU

DC powered, but no AES i/o, no dedicated clock input and (big deal for me) no ADAT Lightpipe input.  I'd miss XLRs but not a lot, and the new CueMix GUI looks good--I've always had trouble w/ seeing if the solo buttons on the old version were engaged.  The comps and EQ might be useful, although generally we don't have time to dial in such niceties on the shoots where my multitrack rig is working.  I still like the Traveler better, for movie audio.  Hopefully the new Ultralite has the gain structure of the 8PRE etc on line input, (as opposed to the Traveler's) where one is able to turn the inputs DOWN far enough to accommodate a hot line level w/o an external pad.

Philip Perkins

Tell this to all the Deva Fusion users who paid for the FX expansion pack...

OK: we don't usually have time to thoughtfully dial in much in the way of EQ and comp on shoots with 18+ music tracks with our MOTU boxes, by the time we are set up and get a line check the show has started.  In any case, location EQ other than low end rolloff is generally frowned on around here, as is dynamics control other than peak limiters--we leave that to post and people working in calibrated listening environments (often, me).  The Fusioneers, with less than 8 tracks going, may have more time on their hands.  Good on them, dial away, if their posties agree.

Philip Perkins