633 x3/x4 to Comtek M216P7 wiring

Rob Lewis

Yes already did a search.  Search does not work on this sight.

I need to wire a cable to feed Aux 3 and 4 on the 633 to a Comtek M217P7 transmitter.  I have tried many configurations and have wasted a lot of time and only get Aux 3 to the Comtek input.  I hate professional devices that have unbalanced inputs.  I have also confirmed that aux 3 & 4 work properly.

If someone can share the proper pinout for this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Rob.

RL: " Search does not work on this sight. "

try Google, use jwsoundgroup.net as the first search term

I hate professional devices that have unbalanced inputs. "

secondly, have you checked with SD ?? in addition to their web site, they have a users support forum, email, and telephone.

firstly, the Comtek's were not actually invented for what we use them for, and one of the reasons for their popularity with us is their rugged simplicity performing very well at a reasonable cost, thus we adopted them.

I have tried many configurations and have wasted a lot of time "

trial and error is still a part of our gig!

(so is RTFM)

Senator, Yes and yes, and after trial and error, I figured it out.  Pretty simple, but because I'm burned out right now, the brain did not engage.

To Tom.  I have no Idea why i want to do that, but I made it work anyway...

633--------------------ComteK

tip----------------------Tip

Ring-------------------Tip

Sleeve-----------------Sleeve

Thanks anyway fellas

Senator, Yes and yes, and after trial and error, I figured it out.  Pretty simple, but because I'm burned out right now, the brain did not engage.

To Tom.  I have no Idea why i want to do that, but I made it work anyway...

633--------------------ComteK

tip----------------------Tip

Ring-------------------Tip

Sleeve-----------------Sleeve

Thanks anyway fellas

The levels are right??

Their cables have 4 resistors in them to deal with levels into the TX. I've made a few with TA3 connectors and they are a PIA to make work..

So from what I see your pin out is right but the lack of electronics inside might cause you some problems with levels etc..post-1567-0-98713800-1408989870_thumb.pn

The levels are right??

Their cables have 4 resistors in them to deal with levels into the TX. I've made a few with TA3 connectors and they are a PIA to make work..

So from what I see your pin out is right but the lack of electronics inside might cause you some problems with levels etc..attachicon.gifScreenshot 2014-08-25 11.03.45.png

Those are not resistors, they're inductors and capacitors forming an LC filter to prevent RF from affecting the circuit feeding the Comtek.  I've built several of these cables and also have ones made by Comtek. 

I have, on occasion, used standard TRS cables that worked fine, but that's not a certainty, and having the RF filtering is preferable.

Those are not resistors, they're inductors and capacitors forming an LC filter to prevent RF from affecting the circuit feeding the Comtek. I've built several of these cables and also have ones made by Comtek.

I have, on occasion, used standard TRS cables that worked fine, but that's not a certainty, and having the RF filtering is preferable.

Correct! Typing as i walk out the door to a shoot. [emoji12]

Ive built a couple of these into a ta3 which was not easy! Buy it worked. I just wanted to make sure rob saw the diagram and knew there were more options to building that cable.

It's all good. Cable is working fine, and I have wrapped a ferrite bead to assist in removing the Zaxcom wine from the line. Should I use the right cable, yes. Will I pay $66 for the correct cable when I can make one that works fine for $4? No.

Thanks for the info fellas, much appreciated.

Here's the wiring diagram from COMTEK.

Sure look like resistors to me, but then I'm the low tech guy!

attachicon.gifCOMTEK_wiringdiagram-1.pdf

Time to raise your tech... <g>  Look at the lump that says COMTEK on it and you'll see that it has two 4.7uh inductors inside.  (uh = micro henry)

The 1k resistors are there as summing resistors for a stereo to mono sum. 

I understand that there are inductors "inside" the Comtek plastic connector.  The post that I was originally referring to was, someone speaking about resistors "four resistors...."  I've only known of the two resistors, which are inside the 3.5mm connector, I wasn't referring to an inductor, which I gather from your response, is what you thought I was referring to.

Regardless, the OP has found an alternative that works for him, and the world is still turning.....

Sorry Rich, I thought the discussion was about what cable the OP needed, so I was referencing the components that achieve that.

Comtek recommends an RF filtered cable.  I've used both, and sometimes an unfiltered standard cable works fine, but at other times a filtered one has eliminated interference problems.  I've also had a situation where I thought the M216 transmitter was performing fine with an unfiltered cable, only to discover that under varying circumstances -- even with the same rig -- I got some interference and, in speaking with Comtek support, discovered that I needed the filtered one.  My advice:  trust the manufacturer's recommendation.

However, in this thread we seem to be in two different discussions together -- sorry about that.

In this application is a filtered cable necessary?  I don't own any zaxcom stuff but with my usual kit, 633, UM TX( sometimes for hops) and 411 RXs, i have been using a non filtered cable that i quickly rigged 9 months agog from a broken TA3f to comtek cable.  Keeping the molded mono right angle connector- there is no filtering in there is there? I can to imagine that there is.....   .   

I've broken TA3fs over and over again feeding my comteks.  The connector sticks out and gets bumped, and its is trashed.   The right angled ones break too and are relatively expensive.  My preference is mini ( rt angle ) over TA3f in this application.  And....... i can quickly plug the same cable into any camera output to get return audio on playback to my comteks.   added bonus.

RL: " $66 is hard to swallow after spending $3500 on another part of the kit. "

while for me, that would be reversed, and I'd find it easy...

RVD: " mixer/recorder that employs a spinning drive, is creating RF. "

it isn't just spinning drives... lots of non-moving electronics are generating all sorts of RF "hash"