ORCA Bags Review

Ze Frias

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bernie,

Feel free to PM directly if you have any other questions. When I tested the bag for the first time, I had set-up the Nomad + FP8 + 6x 411a's. I only used one divider between the Nomad+FP8 and the 6 receivers, and the 411a's would be in two rows of three each. They would have to be velcro'd onto the divider and the inside of the bag / other 411a's. It was tight, but it worked.

If you are not using the FP8, then you should definitely have some space for the two dividers with 2 rows of receivers. It should all fit snug.

With the lift system, if you noticed, the bag comes with it installed on one of the dividers. I chose instead to hang them on the inner frame of the bag (so the actual bag frame, not a divider, and the hook for the lifts are sandwiched between the inner frame and the outer portion of the bag). I found that it was more out of the way and provided me more freedom to install receivers. YMMV

Using the 34 with my 664 and 2 Sr5s. Took a little maneuvering to get the 664 in, but I  love the lift system. Still have plenty  of room to add extra wireless as needed. Would like to see more external pouches, maybe even a double pouch like Petrol. Love the access zip doors for both sides. Aluminum frame is very sturdy, bag stands up all on it's own. All in all good design!

Hey Bernie,

Feel free to PM directly if you have any other questions. When I tested the bag for the first time, I had set-up the Nomad + FP8 + 6x 411a's. I only used one divider between the Nomad+FP8 and the 6 receivers, and the 411a's would be in two rows of three each. They would have to be velcro'd onto the divider and the inside of the bag / other 411a's. It was tight, but it worked.

If you are not using the FP8, then you should definitely have some space for the two dividers with 2 rows of receivers. It should all fit snug.

With the lift system, if you noticed, the bag comes with it installed on one of the dividers. I chose instead to hang them on the inner frame of the bag (so the actual bag frame, not a divider, and the hook for the lifts are sandwiched between the inner frame and the outer portion of the bag). I found that it was more out of the way and provided me more freedom to install receivers. YMMV

Thanks Jose,

I just did what you described and everything fits and I can use the lift. It actually keeps the snap tabs further away from the mixer surface so that's a good thing. I don't have the extra fader panel so will have to reconfigure if I ever get that. I like the height of the bag, it leaves a touch more room for the xlrs underneath. I've got all the hard ware put in, now I just have to wire it up. Should be easier with all the access provided.

Best,

Bernie

Using the 34 with my 664 and 2 Sr5s. Took a little maneuvering to get the 664 in, but I  love the lift system. Still have plenty  of room to add extra wireless as needed. Would like to see more external pouches, maybe even a double pouch like Petrol. Love the access zip doors for both sides. Aluminum frame is very sturdy, bag stands up all on it's own. All in all good design!

How is it getting to the Media door on the 664?  DO you feel that the power connection is getting unwarranted pressure from the bag?

Lower, shorter, lighter ... 
The OR-41: 
New bag with the changes we asked for. 
The bag fits Nomad + zaxnet antenna, there is room for FP8 + 6 Tx / Rx (or 9 Tx / Rx without PF8) or anything you want. 
The bag is built perfectly, I have access to the gear very quickly and efficiently. Is lighter in 0.53Kg from the OR-32.
The aluminium frame does a great job, it keeps the shape of the Bag stable and unchanging because of the weight and position. 
The bag fits a lot of types of mixers / recorders. 
No doubt, this is the best Bag for me.

post-2165-0-27778900-1410381583_thumb.jp
post-2165-0-13092300-1410381632_thumb.jp
post-2165-0-81273200-1410381654_thumb.jp(Kg)
post-2165-0-54311200-1410381705_thumb.jp
post-2165-0-38547800-1410381752_thumb.jp
post-2165-0-67942000-1410381817_thumb.jppost-2165-0-01315000-1410381862_thumb.jppost-2165-0-12077000-1410381908_thumb.jppost-2165-0-33936900-1410381969_thumb.jppost-2165-0-90094400-1410382014_thumb.jp

That (the new OR-41) is impressive and an incredibly speedily done production!

I've been following Rado's modifications to the smallest Orca bag with some interest. The main problem as I see it with these bags is the need for a 'one size fits all approach' which makes some sense for manfuacture and sales, but also means that a Nomad bag must also be able to accomodate a FP8 as well as multiple receivers and a 664 bag ditto.

I wonder if Orca would do a custom bag that would shrink the size to fit only the Nomad/664 and the RX, thus bringing bag size down and the weight towards the body (two rows instead of three).Those TX pouches still seem very forward located to my mind.

Ouputs 1/2 etc still look very squashed and are commonly used on the Nomad for camera sends etc. In fact the whole ouputs side looks highly impractical for the Nomad.

Very cool anyway!

That (the new OR-41) is impressive and an incredibly speedily done production!

I've been following Rado's modifications to the smallest Orca bag with some interest. The main problem as I see it with these bags is the need for a 'one size fits all approach' which makes some sense for manfuacture and sales, but also means that a Nomad bag must also be able to accomodate a FP8 as well as multiple receivers and a 664 bag ditto.

I wonder if Orca would do a custom bag that would shrink the size to fit only the Nomad/664 and the RX, thus bringing bag size down and the weight towards the body (two rows instead of three).Those TX pouches still seem very forward located to my mind.

Ouputs 1/2 etc still look very squashed and are commonly used on the Nomad for camera sends etc. In fact the whole ouputs side looks highly impractical for the Nomad.

Very cool anyway!

The Nomad and the 664 are very different widths, especially considering the 664 has all the XLRs on the side. 

The Nomad and the 664 are very different widths, especially considering the 664 has all the XLRs on the side. 

I was not intending to comapare the two machines with a view to putting either in the same bag, but merely the manufacturer requirements that bags for these recorders fit their fader panel bolt ons as well as RXs. If you don't use either panel on your chosen recorder (and many don't) there ends up being a lot of wasted real estate.

I stand by my comments re the ouput side of the Nomad though. Perhaps these photos are not correctly illustrative, but I'm not sure how stuff would fit as it currently appears.

I was not intending to comapare the two machines with a view to putting either in the same bag, but merely the manufacturer requirements that bags for these recorders fit their fader panel bolt ons as well as RXs. If you don't use either panel on your chosen recorder (and many don't) there ends up being a lot of wasted real estate.

Gotcha James. It's a valid point. Maybe there is some flexibility. For example, if you don't have the additional faders, but have 8 411s turned 90 degrees you still need a lot more room than somebody using 3 SRb or 3 QRX200 receivers. Also, do you carry all your transmitters, mics and batteries in the bag, or do you have a run bag or something. I don't envy the people designing bags because everyone has different wants&needs. 

17:00 today I get the tracking number for my bag, this is posted 11 minutes later. ahhhhhhhhhhh! 

While I did not order my bag today, I've been owning it for no more than two weeks. It's like buying a brand new computer or phone only to have a new model come out a few weeks later :/

Perhaps you can send it back for exchange? Yours would be brand new untouched.

While I did not order my bag today, I've been owning it for no more than two weeks. It's like buying a brand new computer or phone only to have a new model come out a few weeks later :/

Perhaps you can send it back for exchange? Yours would be brand new untouched.

I ordered it right after the first batch was sold. I was working overseas when they arrived. By the time I ordered (effectively next day), the first wave of OR-32s was gone. 

I would love to know the dimensions and how different it is, though shaving a pound seems like a lot for such a lightweight bag anyway. 

Gotcha James. It's a valid point. Maybe there is some flexibility. For example, if you don't have the additional faders, but have 8 411s turned 90 degrees you still need a lot more room than somebody using 3 SRb or 3 QRX200 receivers. Also, do you carry all your transmitters, mics and batteries in the bag, or do you have a run bag or something. I don't envy the people designing bags because everyone has different wants&needs. 

Your point re the 411's is well made (one of the reasons I refuse to use them). For those with SR, Wisycom or just about anything else, that much space seems wastefully large.

Your point re the 411's is well made (one of the reasons I refuse to use them). For those with SR, Wisycom or just about anything else, that much space seems wastefully large.

It also depends on the job. If it's up to me, my current wireless is a mix of Zaxcom and Lectrosonics. I currently work on a show where we sometimes use WM transmitters, and I don't have an SRb in that block, so it's 411s. My personal Lectros are 411s and SRbs. It's possible I will work on a job with other mixers and have to revert to all Lectros in a different block. The Zaxcom QRX is the size of a 411, but can receive 2 transmitters. So many possibilities. That's why I am ok having some extra room in the bag. 

There was overwhelming feedback from Nomad users asking for a bag more appropriate for a Nomad so Orca made it happen.  

The internal dimension of the OR-41 are 

Height - 7.5 inches

Width - 12.25 inches

Depth - 6.5 inches.

As far as I know this is still a prototype and Orca is awaiting feedback with regard to the exact dimensions this bag should be before they go into production.

I haven't seen the 41 but i think the width is fine - the photo may not be doing it justice. Nomad is 9 5/8" wide connector to connector (not including the ears) add 1 1/4" for an inserted switchcraft TA5 you are at 10 7/8 inches wide leaving you about 1 1/4" for the ZaxNet antenna - which should be more than enough. And if you use a right angle SMA to SMA for you ZaxNet antenna - which you should be using anyway you will save over 1/2" and put less wear on you antenna connector.

There was overwhelming feedback from Nomad users asking for a bag more appropriate for a Nomad so Orca made it happen.  

The internal dimension of the OR-41 are 

Height - 7.5 inches

Width - 12.25 inches

Depth - 6.5 inches.

As far as I know this is still a prototype and Orca is awaiting feedback with regard to the exact dimensions this bag should be before they go into production.

I haven't seen the 41 but i think the width is fine - the photo may not be doing it justice. Nomad is 9 5/8" wide connector to connector (not including the ears) add 1 1/4" for an inserted switchcraft TA5 you are at 10 7/8 inches wide leaving you about 1 1/4" for the ZaxNet antenna - which should be more than enough. And if you use a right angle SMA to SMA for you ZaxNet antenna - which you should be using anyway you will save over 1/2" and put less wear on you antenna connector.

Thanks Jack. I'm aware that making these bags for us moaning buggers is a thankless task and it's welcome that somebody is (at last) making a bag with the Nomad in mind instead of 'it can fit a Nomad - possibly'. The Nomad has a very specific set of requirements so hopefully you are correct about the room for inputs and ouputs on the right side. I would grudgingly get cables remade as right angles, although I'd rather not have to (and all my spares are standards anyway).

I lost patience with my Zaxnet antenna having wrecked the poorly secured sma connector on the inside and refixed it, only to snap the right angle on the 2.4. I'm now using a tiny Ambient aerial. Slightly less range, but MUCH harder to damage.

I lost patience with my Zaxnet antenna having wrecked the poorly secured sma connector on the inside and refixed it, only to snap the right angle on the 2.4. I'm now using a tiny Ambient aerial. Slightly less range, but MUCH harder to damage.

Get an SMA to SMA right angle - it is low profile and makes a world of difference. Over 2 years with the right angle adaptor and I have had no antenna issue. The adaptor stays on the Nomad and I just screw in the antenna when necessary.