ORCA Bags Review

Ze Frias

orca do audio bag with rf protected partitions between recorder and rx/tx (important feature in my opinion), 

This is a feature first pioneered by the Stingray which started shipping long before Orca. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will probably be the last prototype and I'd love to hear Practical suggestions/changes you think should be changed, and I will try suggest them to Ofer.

I know there are people who make changes in the bag, and you have to remember there are lots of users with lots of types of equipment. 

Example- 

1. I really liked the ring to zaxnet antenna that Rado did, but the antenna is not protected in the bag and can get hit and break. Some people will use in 788 or 552, etc., and they will say what I need this ring in the bag? 

2. In an early model of OR-41, a lot of people have offered to reduce the spacing below zaxnet antenna which means that people will have to buy angle sma connector. 

usb space: 
*Should think that there are people being recorded straight to disk on key, and there are lots of sizes. 
*"zaxcom Donegal" - at the moment it will only be to qrx, but I believe that in the future it will also work in Nomad (??size??).

Not everyone wants to use the angled connector (usb, sma).

This will probably be the last prototype and I'd love to hear Practical suggestions/changes you think should be changed, and I will try suggest them to Ofer.

I know there are people who make changes in the bag, and you have to remember there are lots of users with lots of types of equipment.

Example-

1. I really liked the ring to zaxnet antenna that Rado did, but the antenna is not protected in the bag and can get hit and break. Some people will use in 788 or 552, etc., and they will say what I need this ring in the bag?

2. In an early model of OR-41, a lot of people have offered to reduce the spacing below zaxnet antenna which means that people will have to buy angle sma connector.

usb space:

*Should think that there are people being recorded straight to disk on key, and there are lots of sizes.

*"zaxcom Donegal" - at the moment it will only be to qrx, but I believe that in the future it will also work in Nomad (??size??).

Not everyone wants to use the angled connector (usb, sma).

Honestly, after size changes, the only other things I can think of are practical changes that I would wish for all the bags in the product line, which are:

- Velcro strap at the front of the top frame to hold the rain/dust shield while rolled up.

- Another pair of zippers in the front pouch, front pocket, and side doors.

- Stronger snaps for the sides.

- The top harness attachments to be further back.

Regarding USB devices, all of the dongles I've been using, including for my wireless keyboard, are very low profile, and doubt would be an issue. When I record to USB, I also use the smallest-sized dongle I could get.

I already have a right angled SMA connector for my Zaxnet antenna, so I'm not concerned there either.

I bought an OR-32 a couple of weeks ago and love it. Still getting used to it, but a couple of things I do miss from my old Petrol bag are the multiple zips per access point/pocket. Don't know if I'm making sense or calling it the right thing, but with multiple zippers you can route cables from the ext pocket close to the bottom of the bag.

I also miss having 4 external pockets on the outside of the bag. I used to keep my Zaxcom Tx + Filter Antenna on one side of the bag and 2 x SRb on the other side of the bag. The physical separation helped with RF spray...

Very much loving it though, almost perfect

I bought an OR-32 a couple of weeks ago and love it. Still getting used to it, but a couple of things I do miss from my old Petrol bag are the multiple zips per access point/pocket. Don't know if I'm making sense or calling it the right thing, but with multiple zippers you can route cables from the ext pocket close to the bottom of the bag.

I also miss having 4 external pockets on the outside of the bag. I used to keep my Zaxcom Tx + Filter Antenna on one side of the bag and 2 x SRb on the other side of the bag. The physical separation helped with RF spray...

The Stingray already does this. 

Honestly, after size changes, the only other things I can think of are practical changes that I would wish for all the bags in the product line, which are:

- Velcro strap at the front of the top frame to hold the rain/dust shield while rolled up.

- Another pair of zippers in the front pouch, front pocket, and side doors.

- Stronger snaps for the sides.

- The top harness attachments to be further back.

Regarding USB devices, all of the dongles I've been using, including for my wireless keyboard, are very low profile, and doubt would be an issue. When I record to USB, I also use the smallest-sized dongle I could get.

I already have a right angled SMA connector for my Zaxnet antenna, so I'm not concerned there either.

These all sound like good ideas. I thought the rain cover was originally going to be attatched via small magnets? I much prefer that idea over the pop studs or even velcro.

I'm very surprised the Orca doesn't have multiple zippers on each pocket. That's a basic thing, and the Stingray has it covered, I can have 2 or 3 cables exiting each side at different points and still be able to open to sides to access cards etc.

Jon is right. It's a basic requirement.

These all sound like good ideas. I thought the rain cover was originally going to be attatched via small magnets? I much prefer that idea over the pop studs or even velcro.

You are right, magnets would be better, and quieter. I just mean I want something to hold the shield while rolled up. Otherwise it's just hanging, or I have to take it off.

Do you mean the slide on pouches? If so, they sell these "double pouches":

https://www.gothamsound.com/product/double-wireless-pouch

Dave, I think you are turning into Glenn Sanders. And not in a good way

Well, at the same time, I'm seeing people say "I wish my Orca did 'x' or 'y'" when the Stingray does those exact things, and then giving them credit for things that we did first. 

Well, at the same time, I'm seeing people say "I wish my Orca did 'x' or 'y'" when the Stingray does those exact things, and then giving them credit for things that we did first. 

dfisk,
In my opinion there are a lot disadvantages in Stingray, but no one will write them here because it's "ORCA Bags Review". 
I really think that we don't buy anything until we check all of the options that companies offer. And if we choose to use the Orca it's probably after we saw all the bags on the market including the Stingray, and I think you have to respect our decision.

The "PR" you're doing is deterrent, if you believe in Stingray you should be calm and not show stress like no one buys it (and I believe it's sold). 

It is important to note that I don't represent or speak on behalf ORCA Bags. 
I'm just trying to help me and you get the best bag that will answer our needs.

Yes of course, I can totally understand that. But this is not your thread as this is about the Orca. Others will chime in here about ofher bags and it'll make you look better. Elior said it all really. I'm a bit surprised, actually, that Jeff is cutting you so much slack here. I remember his complaint about the official introduction of the - incidentally - Orca bag here. Jeff thought it was too much of an ad, at first. You are lucky he hasn't said anything to you, yet. It's probably because you're "one of us", but you shouldn't abuse that. Look through this thread, it feels like every other post from you.

I'd recommend taking a page out of Larry Fisher's book. That's just my opinion. But it says a lot that you got what I meant in my post before...

Do you want extra sliders on the 4 corner zippers? My little side doors have 2 sliders, and the big pocket has a few. The side door is how I routed cables to my camera hop transmitter. If I already had a TRX900CL, the corner zipper would be preferable for sure.

Do you want extra sliders on the 4 corner zippers? My little side doors have 2 sliders, and the big pocket has a few. The side door is how I routed cables to my camera hop transmitter. If I already had a TRX900CL, the corner zipper would be preferable for sure.

I think on my old Petrol bag there were 4 sliders per pocket, so you could route cables through the bottom sliders and still have access from the 2 sliders at the top...

Just to prove there's always others who like things different to the majority  - I personally hate multiple zips on pockets. There's 15 zips on my Petrol 614 that jingle, if that was on a piece of camera gear jingling every time they took a step near the talent i would be having words with the camera crew, so it's only fair I cut off the tabs down to the bare minimum that I need. It's easy to pass cables through to any section with the internal access slots so i prefer to keep the zips closed. We're there to capture the sound, not make more of it.