Red Epic TC display frame discrepency.

Hey all,

Does the touch monitor for the epic have an inherent 2 frame delay? While jamming the camera, I noticed the slate was reaching the next second slightly before the TC display on camera, while the jam cable was in. So I took a picture of the slate and the TC on the display, and sure enough the Epic was 2 frames behind the even while the jam cable was plugged in. This is the first day of the show so I can not yet check any footage afterwards to see if the sync is off. And if all else fails and there is a delay, then I'll just write a note explaining it needs to be moved 2 frames. Camera and production knows, and it's not really an issue, it's more for my education and peace of mind.

Thanks!

post-2536-0-02916100-1409067929_thumb.jp

Don't trust the monitor. It's probably dead on. But sync on reds can be off a frame or two here or there. Most post people will expect it and say nothing. Some will make a fuss about it, but nothing can be done, so be nice and be sure not to mention the monitor thing. Hours will be wasted talking about it.

I definitely wouldn't trust the display on the epic to be up to speed.  I know when the camera is outputting greater than 4k there is a delay on the actual video signal output so who knows what is going on with the onboard display.

The same way you shouldn't use the display on a 788T to test true timecode, I wouldn't use the epics.  

The best thing to do is have the DIT or downloader take a look at the slate from the downloaded footage and check the embedded with the slate in picture. (or have post do it if you can't)

Yes, there is a delay in the monitor. It seems to differ depending on different hardware / software / firmware revisions.

Do a test recording, pull the files out, and watch them on a computer (like with RedCine-X Pro). That will tell you if there's a 1- or 2-frame offset in the camera. Be sure to tell the client this is a camera problem, not a problem with timecode or the sound department.

Is it a Dragon or MX Epic? If a Dragon, what firmware and what are you using to jam 23.98?

EDIT: Dragon has a new firmware release today (5.2.28) that supposedly fixes 24/23.98 jamming issues from some TC devices..finally!

This is valid, fro Zaxcom's ERX TCD to Dragon @ 23.98!!

Thank you very much

Fury

Dragon has a new firmware release today (5.2.28) that supposedly fixes 24/23.98 jamming issues from some TC devices..finally!

Wow, that is good news! I would bet that Sgt. Fury above may have had something to do with that, because he did drive out to Red HQ in Lake Forest to demonstrate the problem to the design techs out there.