Looking for great durable smartphone wired lav

Buck Rambo

I would like to have a wired lav for my smartphone. Something durable. Is the smartlav+ a good choice.

Not sure if the Countryman b3/b6 would work with a smartphone. 

This is for if I am out and about and just need to record someones voice, I can pull out my phone and lav.

I would like to have a wired lav for my smartphone. Something durable. Is the smartlav+ a good choice.

Not sure if the Countryman b3/b6 would work with a smartphone.

This is for if I am out and about and just need to record someones voice, I can pull out my phone and lav.

It is my understanding that you cannot use a b3/b6 or other professional quality lav's for this purpose without power. Testing a b6 with an emuel xlr adapter right now and it wont work without phantom engaged.

Ken

Hello, and thank you for having me on this forum. I am from Minnesota, I used to work for Activision for about 6 years doing 3D animation and graphics, Worked with 3D graphics and video for over 20 years. Dad was a professional photographer for John Deere. I am a teacher now, but in my free time and summer I do video work. Some is for my own creation like my youtube channel, and paid work is doing education conferences, and training videos. And a few weddings which I think I loose money.

I am thinking of getting a smartlav+. The smartlav basic received bad reviews, so I hope the new version is better. I enjoy doing outdoor videos like fishing and hunting. I have a H4 and H5 zoom and thought about using my lavs with an XLR input. But my phone is always with me and would like to play with the idea of having a lav mic for situations I need something right away. 

I thought it might be interesting if with all your unused cell phones, to attach lav's to them and using them in creative ways. Sometimes I am nervous using my expensive wireless mics on some subjects. 

Thank you for all your comments and thanks for having me here on your forum.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lampofilm

I thought it might be interesting if with all your unused cell phones, to attach lav's to them and using them in creative ways. Sometimes I am nervous using my expensive wireless mics on some subjects. 

The real problem is, how do you plan to make the smartphone recordings stay in sync? Without a reference and timecode, the sound and picture are going to tend to drift over time. And the basic problem is always, "how do you get the microphone close to the actor?" 

I think there's a point where the compromise in sound quality is so great, you have to give up. Using smartphone microphones is way beyond that line. 

If this is just a home video or a little student project, then you can just fake it as best you can, but for anything real (seen by lots of people and/or paid for), there are really very few shortcuts.