QUICK Complaints and Grievances to all companies.

RadoStefanov

Many times I mention something very generic about gear and the discussion gets very heated.

So I decided to just list all my complaints at once and be done with it. ;D

Will start with ZAXCOM:

1. 3V lavalier power only. I like 4063 but also other DPAs!!!!!

2. Nomad only has 6 AES when used with zaxnet.

3. No limiters on AES on Nomad.

4. Maxx released without zaxnet control and still does not have it.

5. SSMA is expensive, hard to find in a hurry and honestly fragile.

6. Lemo 3 Pin is time consuming to wire and repair... . not an issue with DPA DAD adapters

7. Mix-8 does not have enough control

8. Mix-12 has the control but does not work with Nomad.

9. ERX 3.5 "not locking" plug and hardware switch instead of hold button is not a good design

10. No power solution for QRX on camera.

11. Always have to wait 2 weeks to get another wireless. In our business this is unacceptable. Jobs sometimes come on very short notice. I need one more wireless in two days...It is wide band. Just stock them!!!believe me they will sale!!!

12. Shipping to Jersey is expansive from the west coast. We need a west coast repair center.

13. Some options and and functions not explained clearly. People msg me for clarification.

14. Nomad headphone amp can sound nasty with very loud/very fast transient sound.

15. No recorder/wireless combo One unit device availble.

16.Nomad SMA Zaxnet plug is week.  I replaced mine with BNC and it is sturdy .

Sound Devices

1.644 does not work with CL-9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 XLR inputs on the sides of the unit makes it bulky especially on the wide 644.

3. 664 is huge

Lectrosonics

1. 9V batteries!!!!

2. Still analog, need coordination and No digital ENG small size receiver.

4. UCR 411 Receivers and UM400 are heavy and bulky. Again 9V.

5. Annoying sound controlling TX functions instead of silent discreet control.

6. No card recording in transmitter for drop out safety back up.

7. R1A!!!

8. SM TX heat.

Schoeps

1.Humidity!!!!

2. Repair turnaround.

3. Blue  ;D .Cost extra for gray CMIT5

Sennheiser

1. Quality control with MKH8000

Denecke

1. Huge and heavy jam box.

ALL BAG COMPANIES

1. Weight.

2. Size.

3. Hard to have wireless sitting in the bag firm and stable.

Power distributions - BDS

1. Cable connection take to much space going to the side. They are better on the bottom.

IDX

1. It is time for a better battery. Common it is 2014.

THAT IS IT.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, what's your problem with 9V's? Ever compare (size and weight) 2 LiIon AA's to a LiPoly 9V? What's wrong with them?

I use BDS systems, so I don't put batteries in my 411's (yes, I still use and absolutely LOVE the range, durability and reliability of these awesome rx's) but if I were to use them with internal batteries, I really don't see what the issue is.

Also, UM400's were designed and released WHEN? Some of your gripes are tantamount to complaining to Ford Motor Company for the shortcomings of the Taurus, or GE for their design / version of the rotary dial telephone. Wait, sorry, it was actually Almon B. Strowger, an undertaker in Chicago who designed the first rotary dial phone... but the point remains:

Step away from the soldering iron, go outside and breathe.

~tt

Rado: " So I decided to just list all my complaints "

so in general, you are not a complainer ?   8)

maybe you should go back to computers ??

maybe you should design and build your own stuff..?

maybe it's the desert heat ??

BTW: IIRC: Maxx was not designed to have Zaxnet.

you still have SD and Lectro gear ??

and what about your complaint about interchangeability and compatibility ??

Glen Trew could buy all the manufacturers, and they would all be merged into one single, completely cross compatible "Remote Audio" line ..?

Edited by studiomprd

Well I guess I should be happy that for once Zaxcom was first on any list. ;-) There are long and short answers for some of these topics. I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know your concerns. We can only make things better with the proper customer feedback. Time will only allow me short answers for now so here it goes:

There are many 3.3V mics available from many different manufactures. The TRX2.5 transmitter with all of its features was designed with a 3.3V mic supply to save power and because putting a digital transmitter and a recording studio in a small package was at the time we first did it a very difficult task. Sanken, DPA,sennheiser, countryman and many more make mics that work great with our transmitters.

This is more than any of our competitors. Yes 8 are available when Zaxnet is not in use. But even with the 6 inputs Nomad is the leader in this class of equipment. 

AES inputs do not by their digital nature need limiters as it is up to the device upstream to limit the dynamic range for the AES output that feeds Nomad. As such limiters are not part of the Nomads AES input structure.

It was never an advertised feature of MAXX.  I do not think to is fair to complain that we do not have a feature that was never part of the products feature set.

We and our dealers stock them and you can get at a competitive price in 24 Hours or less.

6. Lemo 3 Pin is time consuming to wire and repair... . not an issue with DPA DAD adapters

It is used by us and Sennheiser and is an industry standard. It was picked due to its size and while it is not easy to wire it is easy to order them pre wired from many sources. As you point out use the DAD adapter and it is not an issue.

Mix 8 was designed for Deva where the touch screen provides the other functionality. Nomad is the only product in its class to support a linear fader panel. Mix 8 design precedes the Nomad by many years and can not change.

Mix12 provides fader, input trim and transport controls so that a Nomad could be a backup recorder for a Deva/Mix12 cart. 

9. ERX 3.5 "not locking" plug and hardware switch instead of hold button is not a good design

I do not think any other IFB receiver has a locking plug. ERX is best used with a small right angle plug for best results.

One will be available shortly.

11. Always have to wait 2 weeks to get another wireless. In our business this is unacceptable. Jobs sometimes come on very short notice. I need one more wireless in two days...It is wide band. Just stock them!!!believe me they will sale!!!

This is a dealer issue. Many dealers now stock these transmitters. You may need to call around to the usual suspects to find them as they sell very quickly.

12. Shipping to Jersey is expansive from the west coast. We need a west coast repair center.

The audio Department in Burbank is your best bet for many simple repairs. Arron in the service department has been to Zaxcom for training and they stock many of the common parts needed. DWS in LA has also been to our factory for training.

13. Some options and and functions not explained clearly. People msg me for clarification.

Please let us know what those are so we can best update our materials. Even better we will call you.Thank you for helping others who have questions.

14. Nomad headphone amp can sound nasty with very loud/very fast transient sound.

There is a software change coming to address a headphone 10 dB gain stage that can cause distortion at higher levels.

I do not think to is fair to complain that we do not make a product simply because we can and don't.

I agree it would be better as a BNC.

Glenn

Be a little careful about info you are putting out here:  re 664 and power loss file closing--if you are rolling in the config most soundies use, which would be EXT power, and that power is lost, the 664 will shift to its internal batteries and give you a warning (blinking battery icon) that it has done so.  You can then stop recording when you can, and the 664 will properly close the files and then shut down.  If the EXT power is restored (like you swap a new ext battery in or you get your AC back) while you are still rolling on internal battery the 664 will then switch back to EXT power without cutting or audio artifacts caused by the recorder.  This has worked very well for me even on 14 track recordings (664+CL6+mixes) when we had accidental kickouts etc.

Re Denecke--yes, but much more straightforward setup, longer battery life and TriLevel if you need it.  If you don't, then it's kind of big in the age of Mozegear, I agree.

philp

<<I do not think any other IFB receiver has a locking plug.>>

I guess this is because you dont want an IFB Rx being worn by someone in the crew who walks around with the headphone cable dangling and get snagged somewhere. with a locking plug you can expect damage to the female embedded in the Rx as well. all depends on the strength of the cable. if the cable snaps early, maybe no damage to the Rx probably. If not, then... 

Apart from this, i have no gripes with zaxcom equipment since i have used none since the Deva IV in 2005. Heh. (not saying this is a good way to go - but i have been told there is something to wait for which will make me happy)

Be a little careful about info you are putting out here:  re 664 and power loss file closing--if you are rolling in the config most soundies use, which would be EXT power, and that power is lost, the 664 will shift to its internal batteries and give you a warning (blinking battery icon) that it has done so.  You can then stop recording when you can, and the 664 will properly close the files and then shut down.  If the EXT power is restored (like you swap a new ext battery in or you get your AC back) while you are still rolling on internal battery the 664 will then switch back to EXT power without cutting or audio artifacts caused by the recorder.  This has worked very well for me even on 14 track recordings (664+CL6+mixes) when we had accidental kickouts etc.

Re Denecke--yes, but much more straightforward setup, longer battery life and TriLevel if you need it.  If you don't, then it's kind of big in the age of Mozegear, I agree.

philp

Phillip,

You are right about the 664. But sometimes you might not notice, forget or not cut because the scene is going. It happened to me with the 664.

All I am saying is 663 has the auto close feature on power loss and would be cool if 644 have it as well.

But this is a minor thing.

The lack of control surface "CL-9" for the 664 and 633 is a major issue and I am sure even the hard core Sound Devices users will agree with me on that one....

Phillip,

You are right about the 664. But sometimes you might not notice, forget or not cut because the scene is going. It happened to me with the 664.

All I am saying is 663 has the auto close feature on power loss and would be cool if 644 have it as well.

But this is a minor thing.

The lack of control surface "CL-9" for the 664 and 633 is a major issue and I am sure even the hard core Sound Devices users will agree with me on that one....

Yes, you have to have your power scene together--if you keep good internal batteries in the 664 (and don't try to run on them as the main power source--really not recommended) then you won't have any issues.  I've run for some time on the 3 AA Lith internals even rolling 14 tracks.

I don't miss the CL9 for 664 at all, and I have a CL6 with it all the time.  I have no probs mixing on the rotaries, and the addition of a mixer surface + a keyboard would cost me too much real estate: small is good.   633 is only 6 pots/chan, I doubt a fader surface would be needed for 6 chan very often.  And I like the low roll-offs right where they are, where I can see them and work them while rolling.

philp

Yes, you have to have your power scene together--if you keep good internal batteries in the 664 (and don't try to run on them as the main power source--really not recommended) then you won't have any issues.  I've run for some time on the 3 AA Lith internals even rolling 14 tracks.

I don't miss the CL9 for 664 at all, and I have a CL6 with it all the time.  I have no probs mixing on the rotaries, and the addition of a mixer surface + a keyboard would cost me too much real estate: small is good.   633 is only 6 pots/chan, I doubt a fader surface would be needed for 6 chan very often.  And I like the low roll-offs right where they are, where I can see them and work them while rolling.

philp

Great points

I will remove the power closing but will leave the CL9 for 664 because I have heard complaints in private conversation with a few cart mixers.

It is not fair to mention the LCF knobs  since it is personal preference...

AES inputs do not by their digital nature need limiters as it is up to the device upstream to limit the dynamic range for the AES output that feeds Nomad. As such limiters are not part of the Nomads AES input structure.

Glenn

The way Nomad clips the AES input  it inserts a small amount silence which is very distracting and unnatural...

The audio Department in Burbank is your best bet for many simple repairs. Arron in the service department has been to Zaxcom for training and they stock many of the common parts needed. DWS in LA has also been to our factory for training.

Glenn

I can do those repairs my self.

I am talking about repairs that only can be done at the factory.

Many times I mention something very generic about gear and the discussion gets very heated.

So I decided to just list all my complaints at once and be done with it. ;D

Will start with ZAXCOM:

17. Frequency response on Nomad preamps (far from flat)

To be fair about the 664 /CL9. It would be nice, but the 664 was not designed for cart work, It was designed for high channel count reality work in a bag that has better mix and camera connection capability that the 788 does not have.

I can be used on a cart but with a mixer not a controller.

CL9 was designed for the 788 only, which is a high end cart based recorder that ended up being adapted to bag work

My 664/CL6 IS my cart recorder/kit!  Small is still really good!

That said if they made a 12-fader (not 6!!) add-on for the 664/CL6 I'd prob buy it, although I'd also probably never use it.  But my understanding is that this is not possible for the analog-front-end 6XX series….

philp

I thought the 664 has digital control of the analog front end like RME-Audio...

No. The 664 is a full analogue front with the digital aspect patched in on the side. This was a major advertised point in its release if i remember right. That you could still mix to the out put busses even if the digital side of it crashed.

However since the 633 is all digital it could theoretically use a control surface with linear faders, but wouldn't that defeat the point of it in the first place?

No. The 664 is a full analogue front with the digital aspect patched in on the side. This was a major advertised point in its release if i remember right. That you could still mix to the out put busses even if the digital side of it crashed.

However since the 633 is all digital it could theoretically use a control surface with linear faders, but wouldn't that defeat the point of it in the first place?

I am talking about the digital control of Analog front end instead of potentiometers.