Ninja audio

Hi all,

have been sending a feed to a Ninja, post claims there is up to 4 frames drift over different periods of time, with this audio. Yes, the audio that is embedded into the picture.

Any ideas?

Please forgive my directness, but it needs to be said.

Alas, this is just the way too many troubleshooting requests are posed here.

Pretty much the same as: "My Ford Tauras quit running and makes a strange noise. What's wrong with it."

I believe the applicable phrase is, "The devil is in the details."

An important part of this profession is learning troubleshooting skills. Troubleshooting starts with COMPLETE details, then continues with a methodical series of logical steps.

If people want troubleshooting help without furnishing all pertinent information, including signal routing, camera settings, device settings, troubleshooting steps taken, etc., etc., their question should instead be posed on a psychic forum.

[snip]

If people want troubleshooting help without furnishing all pertinent information, including signal routing, camera settings, device settings, troubleshooting steps taken, etc., etc., their question should instead be posed on a psychic forum.

+1

Customer service would have to give up their crystal balls or at least their Magic Eight balls.

LEF

Alas, this is just the way too many troubleshooting requests are posed here.

Pretty much the same as: "My Ford Tauras quit running and makes a strange noise. What's wrong with it."

I believe the applicable phrase is, "The devil is in the details."

An important part of this profession is learning troubleshooting skills. Troubleshooting starts with COMPLETE details, then continues with a methodical series of logical steps.

Thanks John, I wholly agree with you. Some background is that i’m getting pumped doing 70 hour weeks on a reality gig, and i don't have time to solve camera issues. I was prepared to put out a small piece of bait to see if anything bites, but that is all. They can sort it out themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

have been sending a feed to a Ninja, post claims there is up to 4 frames drift over different periods of time, with this audio. Yes, the audio that is embedded into the picture.

Any ideas?

Obviously it's not your fault if all you did was sending audio straight into the camera.

Without knowing s**t about cameras, I would tell the cam op and posties to experiment by recording with different video codecs and see if the audio/video sync improves or get even worse. If a variable bitrate codec is used, maybe it can loose sync with the audio - me guessing wildly.

If possible, try putting a Timecode box on the camera feeding TC and Genlock. Maybe it can help tightening up the sync.

* EDIT * Hmm, is the Ninja recorder set to Rec-Run operation? If so, the variable offset audio might be due to fluctuation in time code when the camera starts recording and starts generating time code. Maybe the audio then gets the wrong TC start position. Is the camera set to Rec-Run or 24h Free run?

I've had this problem with an F55 in rec-run mode, it started sending TC on the output about ten frames before starting to record video. And why did it wait before starting to record video? Because the TC start was fluctuating in time before stabilising. I had to set the Hold time in my SD664 to 1sec, before starting to record audio, just to be sure that the TC was stable. And you know what, before I figured out how to solve the problem, the audio offset was up to four frames from take to take!

Maybe there's a similar record hold setting in the Ninja?

Also, in my opinion if you want to be sure that the audio and video stays in perfect sync, you need to Genlock the camera with a good TC box.

Good luck

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk