New TC device (150/200 euros)

Vincent R.

Guys, in the field now testing a prototype timecode device called Tentaclesync. It's a small device, bit bigger than a 9 volt battery and supposed to be frame accurate for over a day. Retail will be around 150/200 euros... DOP from Germany brought it along. It's a German startup. Will keep posting updates.52e27bfef73019b2f785c116ec1970c2.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lunching now, so time for more info:

Ok some answers; it's a "dumb" box. No display. Just a mini jack input/output. You can use some software on a computer to set framerate and set the time, figuring out now if I can use for example my 664 now to give it it's initial timecode. iOS software is coming I heard. With the device comes an application so you can sync dailies very quick. No genlock, internal battery about 40h. Design is not final, they will be present at IBC.

Ok small update, you can jam it from your recorder so no need for a laptop there. Didn't work for me yet but will try again later There is a small lipo battery inside, charging via usb. Battery life is 40 hours. The only thing now is you need a computer to set the framerate, but soon there will be a iphone app. Output level you can set as well via the software.

I worked with an earlier prototype of this and so far am very impressed with this box, although I had to return it. It is primarily aimed at 5D/C300 type shoots (even when there is a lockit available, the camera operator will love you for this tiny and light device), but there's no reason it shouldn't work on something bigger. I don't have the official specs, but we used it for a few days on a shoot and it was rock-solid. The ppm figure they gave rivaled that of a lockit, at least that's what I remember.

Battery is internal, but maybe Vincent can confirm that it will last a long day easily and it recharges easily off any USB port. I was a bit worried about this, too, but at the price you can just buy a couple and have a replacement on hand should a battery ever die. Output is on Mini jack (not the screw on type), but adapters will be easy to come by. Maybe they will even sell them, I don't know. The mini jack is not perfect, but I seem to remember that this is mostly a cost thing. With the screw-on the whole unit would be much more expensive. Anyway, it works for the ERX crowd. Although that was for the earlier prototype...

BTW, I am not affiliated to these guys, although I do know them personally, but it's simply a very cool unit.

I am on a production now, we typically jam, thus, power on around 7 or 8 am. After shooting we eat and relax etc... So when I arrive at my hotel room around 10/11 pm I disconnect it to hook it up the charger it is still blinking a happy green light (which means functioning and enough power) :) so I guess no problems on your typical shoot.

Ok small update, you can jam it from your recorder so no need for a laptop there. Didn't work for me yet but will try again later There is a small lipo battery inside, charging via usb. Battery life is 40 hours. The only thing now is you need a computer to set the framerate, but soon there will be a iphone app. Output level you can set as well via the software.

Android too? Windows or OSX?

I think that the jnternal battery is fine as long as it can be replaced in the futur. Buying multiple units is also a great idea.

But the locking connector is an absolute must. Not to please people but because something that critical needs a secure connection in order to be safe.

But the locking connector is an absolute must. Not to please people but because something that critical needs a secure connection in order to be safe.

And yet, many here use the ERX with a non-locking connector with great success, apparently.

The makers did use high quality Neutrik sockets, though, which are supposed to be particularly tight fitting.

The camera side will most likely also feature a non-locking connector...