New TC device (150/200 euros)

Vincent R.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any serious camera will have a locking connector ( BNC-Lemo ).

This device is aimed primarily at the DSRL crowd. Although that shouldn't preclude using it with a more serious camera, of course.

I do agree with the demand for a locking connector. I did mention this right away to the developers. But they argued convincingly that this would make the whole device much more expensive and then it probably wouldn't be viable anymore.

I think it is a drawback, but one that can be worked with.

You can always use some tape or whatever to secure the connector.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

-Post has the first two weeks of shooting and all is perfect.

-definitely no laptop or iDevices needed for jamming, but you do need it to change framerate or padding down the signal if you go into a dslr for example.

-if you hold the button longer it jams from the internal clock

If I were them, I'd just make it a tiny box with room for a AAA battery and a BNC in/out. Have it either auto-recognize code, or have two boxes available for sale. 23.98 and 25. It'll cover 95% of the market. They can let the rest go.

No need for fancy software or function.

great idea. I was thinking about the same thing.

I disagree with Zaxcom decision to go with non locking connector.

Any serious camera will have a locking connector ( BNC-Lemo ).

+1

- I also argued for a locking connector.

- in the near future yes, you can use a smartphone to adjust the settings. They don't have the software out at this movement but working on it. So for now it's laptop.

- of course it does all the frame rates including 29.97

This device is aimed primarily at the DSRL crowd.

Just curious, what brings you to that conclusion? No threaded locking headphone adapter and it's "aimed" primarily at the dslr crowd? What crowd is that? DSLR owners and enthusiasts? You think they are buying up erx's? Or do you mean sound mixers that happened to do a majority of their yearly dates with dslr cameras? Pretty sure more of people are using it in non dslr situations.

Just curious, what brings you to that conclusion? No threaded locking headphone adapter and it's "aimed" primarily at the dslr crowd? What crowd is that? DSLR owners and enthusiasts? You think they are buying up erx's? Or do you mean sound mixers that happened to do a majority of their yearly dates with dslr cameras? Pretty sure more of people are using it in non dslr situations.

Not sure what YOU are talking about, but I was referring to this new device being discussed here in this thread, Tentaclesync.

By DSLR crowd I was referring, in a somewhat sweeping statement, to those who working with such a camera, in whatever capacity. This includes sound recordists.

I was not talking about the ERX in this instance at all. I will concede, though, that it wasn't entirely clear what I was referring to.

As far as I understand the founders did aim towards the non timecode cameras indeed, dslrs/blackmagic etc. And the sloppy ones like the c100/300 canons. Therefore the super small for factor was/is a main goal of them.

But as you can see how I am using it (664 Alexa) it doesn't rule the other cameras out of course.

DG: " I agree with pascal that a locking connector is a must. "

so ?

you won't be buying ??

or you will buy and modify ??

Well the thing with a locking connector is that it works just the same with regular cables so why not put it there from the start so you can have quick peace of mind.

I d probably buy it anyway because the form factor and the price point seems unbeatable. but would have so secure the connection with a right angle and some camera tape.

Have test it today and must say, that this thing isn´t only for the DSLR Crowd. Unbelievable how small and light this device is. Ullrich Esser (one of the developer) has also shown their application for this devices wich is easy to use. With this application you can sync several Tentacles and set the framerate or rename the devices. Also switching between Mic/Line is a nice feature. There is also a really nice Solution for DIT´s by another Software. Enough for today, have to work early tomorrow.

post-7092-0-41012500-1411760957_thumb.jp

post-7092-0-79964700-1411761138_thumb.jp

I would strongly advise taking a page from Mozegear's book and using a mini with an exposed thread so a locking type male mini can be used.  A TC box is something that isn't much monitored, and I would strongly prefer a connector that can't be pulled out as easily as a normal mini.  I know it wouldn't be as Euro-cool looking, but it would definitely make this thing a more professional tool.  The app looks cool.  I hope they decide to give it 29.97 NDF--very much still in use in the USA!

philp