Impressive sound cart

Mick

I was outside stage 5 at Paramount between set ups and saw a young man pushing a sound cart between stages. I introduced myself to Devendra Cleary who was filling in for Phil Palmer on Glee. The thing that struck me over and above how nice he was, was the great looking sound cart he was pushing. If he posts here I'd love to know what type it was, or if anyone else knows I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Mick

Very nice to meet you yesterday Mick! Thank you for the shout out about the cart. Thanks guys for the pleasant words!

This cart in an unexpected collaberation by Backstage Equipment and Encore Cases. I originally bought a Backstage TR-01 (upright video assist cart) many years ago. Plan was to build up gear and begin outfitting that cart. As plans evolved I decided to go the "case-based" route and had the Backstage TR-01 shortened to become a base. Had Encore build a series of custom cases that interconnected with road case hardware. Then had Backstage install 1" steel beams under the Encore case with threaded holes in deliberate spots that matched the holes in the Backstage base top. This allows for 4 hand bolts to fasten the two together. 

Modifications were of course needed over the years and it's nice that these two businesses are located near one another. Once I bought my Transit van I had to have the base shortened even more to fit. Seems simple enough because the base frame is built to be modular. But shortening the base for me also meant re-fabricating rack rails for the drawers. This always included a trip there to measure and discuss, a trip there to drop it off when their shop guys could schedule in the custom work, and a third trip to pick it up! First world problems! A recent adddition was the monitor case and yolk [yoke]. Same unexpected collaboration by these two companies. Case by Encore, and Yolk mechanism by Backstage.

post-754-0-18343400-1409894465_thumb.jpg

post-754-0-52145600-1409894489_thumb.jpg

post-754-0-51941500-1409894531_thumb.jpg

Devendra is a cool dude. Glad I got to meet him before moving away. And very snazzy gear. He shares the philosophy many of us hold of not allowing the gear to be the weak link in getting good sound. He's taken it to the next level with not only great gear, but a beautiful cart and tricked out van.

Point of reference, here. 

Yolk is the yellow stuff inside of an egg 

Yoke is  a bar or frame that is attached to the heads or necks of two work animals (such as oxen) so that they can pull a plow or heavy load

Not  trying to put egg on anyones face, synonyms can be difficult.

Great cart

• 3 weeks later...