Film crew robbed in Oakland

BalboaSound

Hey guys. Be safe out there. While some of us have the luxury of production providing setwatch on some jobs we all need to be vigilant when working in questionable locations. I've been on a few low budget jobs in South LA but even with security I was always keeping an eye out for potential thieves.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/09/04/oakland-film-crew-describes-terrifying-armed-robbery-on-the-set/

"In places of doubtful safety this is the shot gun that's needed"

attachicon.gifshotgun.jpg

I bet we have a few here who would like to have that with them on the job --- might be a little bit of a problem fitting it into your new Orca bag.

Not a problem. Shotgun goes boom so you would put it on a boom pole. It's about the same size as an 816.

The laptops might be easy to sell on the street, but your average pawn shop wouldn't know what to do with a 788 and a bunch of 'Lectros. If the sound gear stolen was of quality, it will stick out like a sore thumb on Ebay or Craigslist. The usual suspects would also be able to spot a shady seller should they list on consignment. Hopefully this will get the bad guys caught.

The laptops might be easy to sell on the street, but your average pawn shop wouldn't know what to do with a 788 and a bunch of 'Lectros. If the sound gear stolen was of quality, it will stick out like a sore thumb on Ebay or Craigslist. The usual suspects would also be able to spot a shady seller should they list on consignment. Hopefully this will get the bad guys caught.

I hope you're right. But over the last couple of years there have been several robberies of tv news crews in the SF Bay Area. For example, a couple days ago:

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Gunpoint-robbery-of-TV-reporter-in-San-Francisco-5728531.php

(yes, the didn't take this guy's camera...perhaps he didn't have it with him or perhaps the robbers knew KRON cameras aren't worth much...but that's another story).

It appears someone has found customers for this stuff. Perhaps local, perhaps overseas. My tv news friends are not happy.

Jim "lives near Oakland" Feeley

The audio was recorded on a Zaxcom recording transmitter that was still wired to talent.  I hope some local news outlet will play the audio in the hope that someone will recognize the crooks so they can get the free room and board they deserve.

Glenn

Bummer that feature came in handy in this particular situation, but that's pretty damn cool.