Giving clients stems/ OMF files of final mix.

Lewis

Avid can declare OMF dead all day long if they want but I assure you it is still in daily use all over the world, and I would wager that at least as many OMFs get made as AAFs.  OMF is gnarly to program for, but not nearly as gnarly as AAF, esp an AAF from anything Avid makes.  Just ask the AATranslator guys--moving target!

philp

In my experience AAF files have been problematic from the start.. even from MC to PTs there can be problems. I always request (the antiquated) OMF.

AATranslator is my go-to OMF to/from 'other' converter.

FWIW, I used to use 'Cui-Bono Soft EDL Convert' before SSL hijacked it and I needed to reinstall it on a new DAW.

SSL bought EDL Convert, and made it better I think (I use PC Convert a lot).  It's expensive, but they did make a Mac version (I use it on PC which translates more ways).  But….no updates for a long time.  It works in W7 32, but SSL told me they weren't going to make a 64 bit version of PC.  Very too bad--it does a few tricks that AAT can't, at least yet.  (I will prob keep a W7 32 PC around for awhile so I can run PC as well as AVTransfer.  AVT was unique and cool because it would actually open OMFs --and some AAFs-- and allow you to see what was on what track, and re-export only what you wanted, with considerable ability to change things in the process, while making gnarly problematic OMFs DAW-friendly.  They were bought up by Fairlight years ago, so I'm guessing Fairlight can do all those tricks.)   Meanwhile, I very much appreciate the AAT guys' hard work as they try to untangle the pig's dinner known as AAF.

FWIW, I dislike AAF. We had a perfectly good OMF workflow going, everybody knew how to handle it...

But about two years ago, I did a TV docy where the editor's day job was as a staffer at Avid. He said OMFs will no longer appear on the export menu for new Media Composers. (It took us a week of back-and-forth before I could get a workable AAF from him...)

Avid can declare OMF dead...

and with Apple having abandoned the pro NLE market, and Adobe's and Sony's offerings not having the power many editors want, whatever Avid declares is now the law.

Ah, bullshit.  OMF is what works currently in Adobe world, and a lot of other places too.  Avid systems haven't done OMFs for awhile, sucks, but we deal.  PT 11 still handles OMFs, because their users will riot if they take it out.  Avid would like to think that it rules the post world as it once did but it doesn't and it won't.

Damn. Remember back in the late 90s when there were some sincere commitments to clear up all this interchange mess? Bento, QT, AAF, OMF, OpenDML, the EBU/SMPTE committees, Pro-MPEG Forum, others that don't come to mind  right now... Everything would be cleared up in a few years.

Sigh.

That was AES-31.  Everyone on board except…..guess who?    Ditto VST?  Serious case of "Not Invented Here".

Phil, reckon you are spot on here. AES31-3 was (rather like MIDI had been a while previously) a brilliant initiative to harness the collective talent of those with knowledge  & ability, audio engineers, academics, including those  motivated to sell 'kit', "make a better mousetrap".

MIDI had  an everybody won result. 

AES31-3 was killed / screwed by, I can't help thinking those who feared a very well thought out way to interchange Project/Session data would compromise their stupendously inferior (er, no doubt  shit)  attempts. 

John L - AATranslator  - London