Health insurance

Allen Green

Well I've been freelance since '96 and had health insurance through NASE (national Asso of Self employed) since early 2000's it was a large group & decent rate. Well got a notice that as of Mar 31, 2015 they will no longer be in the health insurance business because it is no longer a sustainable business (thx Obama care). Curious you freelancers (non union) what health insurance you carry. Now I can buy a policy for $1400 a month added to my wife's employer. I'm paying $800 a month for the family mainly major medical. Very affordable. What are you guys/girls doing as freelancers for health insurance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shiiiiit Obamacare be $50 a month for me with Dental and Vision with MetroPlus NYC.   (thx Obama care)

Do some research with your favorite doctors and see what plans they are on and scope out those prices.  I'm not sure we as a mass can give you solid advice on something that is supposed to be tailored to your health needs.

• 6 months later...

My state had a Republican governor, so he never set up an exchange (1). We have to use the federal one and the deals are not nearly as good as some people are getting. That said, I still have insurance through Blue Cross like I did five years ago and it is a bit cheaper. The biggest difference I know is that they can't block people for pre-existing conditions. For example, I have a writer friend that was between insurance policies when he was diagnosed with cancer. Took a lot of expensive surgery, chemo and radiation to beat. They can't deny him insurance based on that anymore, but they could have a few years ago. As is, he still spent 6 figures fighting it, and obviously couldn't work for a long time. If he didn't have other resources to lean on, he would've lost his house.

(1) not to stir up the politics, but a lot of Republican governors did not set up exchanges because the leadership in Washington (at the time) still thought they could reverse it. Setting up an exchange made it look like the governor had no faith in their DC partners shutting it down.

My state had a Republican governor, so he never set up an exchange (1). We have to use the federal one and the deals are not nearly as good as some people are getting. That said, I still have insurance through Blue Cross like I did five years ago and it is a bit cheaper. The biggest difference I know is that they can't block people for pre-existing conditions. For example, I have a writer friend that was between insurance policies when he was diagnosed with cancer. Took a lot of expensive surgery, chemo and radiation to beat. They can't deny him insurance based on that anymore, but they could have a few years ago. As is, he still spent 6 figures fighting it, and obviously couldn't work for a long time. If he didn't have other resources to lean on, he would've lost his house.

(1) not to stir up the politics, but a lot of Republican governors did not set up exchanges because the leadership in Washington (at the time) still thought they could reverse it. Setting up an exchange made it look like the governor had no faith in their DC partners shutting it down.