Pauses and Stops...

Jan McL

We learned yesterday that my virgin cable show as a mixer will not be renewed after we finish shooting #7 in December.

As the news sinks in with this morning's cup I listen to "One for My Baby" brilliantly sung to close one season's penultimate scene...

The reason I write is to say that having the playback mix -- the song especially appropriate to this bittersweet day of reckoning -- is one of the best things about what we get to do.

Love hearing clicks at the head.

This show and its crew and cast utterly changed my life.

Grew a pair there.

What would have once been ephemera lives for me to re-hear it at will, and I do now...

"One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)"

It's quarter to three, there's no one in the place except you and me

So, set 'em up, Joe, I got a little story you oughta know

We're drinkin', my friend, to the end of a brief episode

Make it one for my baby and one more for the road

I got the routine, so drop another nickel in the machine

I'm feelin' so bad, wish you'd make the music pretty and sad

Could tell you a lot, but you've got to be true to your code

So, make it one for my baby and one more for the road

You'd never know it but buddy, I'm a kind of poet

And I got a lot of things to say

And when I'm gloomy, you simply gotta listen to me

Till it's all talked away

Well that's how it goes and Joe, I know your gettin' pretty anxious to close

So, thanks for the cheer, I hope you didn't mind my bendin' your ear

This torch that I found must be drowned or it soon might explode

So, make it one for my baby and one more for the road

That long, long road

When I read the news -- sent loving, supportive thoughts your way.

I'm, at the same time, happy for you, as I know that this will only lead to new, rewarding challenges that you'll meet with your usual charm, grace, skill, and humor.

Still, it's saddening to realize that there'll be a time when the "family" won't all be together.

My best to you.

Ah yes, the bitter sweet reality of our business. Ya grow so close and then they pull the plug. The parties over and we're swept under the rug or out the door. We may see some next week, others never again. The memories made will last till we end. 

Great post Jan. Sorry it's over but it really has just begun. The road of time spools out like a reel of film. I can't wait for the next scene.

Cheers.

CrewC

You kicked ass and the show has passed into history, with you making some history of your own as it went.  I am very sure that you'll get another show (if you want another show) or some movies etc now, you really made the most of this opportunity.  Your intense focus on improving how you do your job and the sound you deliver for the show, as evidenced by your years of cart -mod pix and videos, is really admirable, as is your openness about the whole process of recording your show.   This last has been really revolutionary--the award-winning mixer of an award winning hit show posting regularly on a public forum and letting all of us in on her trials, tribulations, triumphs and all she has learned through the last several years.  THANKS.   I bet your phone starts ringing as soon as word gets out that you are now on the loose...

philp

Jan, thank you so much, again and always, for your posts here on JWSOUND. So many have already responded so eloquently and from the heart regarding your last post about your show. Philip Perkins has said just about everything I would have said if I had been quick enough to comment. I would like to add that your generosity of spirit, your willingness to share (and your awesome writing skill) has enriched all of our lives and has been a prime factor in making this site so special. Even though that series will end, the adventure which yielded so many stories, the awards, so much exploration and insight into the work that we do, please don't ever let your participation end...  we all need you!

Time to move on, if only because the next thing you do might be even more fulfilling. It makes things easier when someone else makes the decision, but change is the one thing I like best in this business. Plus, you won enough gongs on that show, time to win some for another production.

Crack open the bottle, enjoy it and think of the future.

Jan,

You are a Master of your craft. Never fear the end of a job as your reputation and skill will result in lots of opportunities and further offers of work. Your diligence in the art you create every day, on this show and others, as well as your continuing perfection of your sound package, is a testament to how much you are appreciated and respected in this business.

Life goes on, everything comes to an end eventually, but brings new beginnings.

Carry on!

Love,

Richard