Audio in sub -40F temperatures

Pablo Durana

Hello All,

I'm likely doing a shoot where temperatures will drop beyond -40F. I have a Sound Devices 644 and Lectro 411/SM. I have worked in conditions of -30F but not colder. Has anyone been in this situation before? Did you have any issues? Did you use hand warmers or anything else to keep your gear warm?

Thanks for any advice,

Pablo

Hi Pablo,

Power the 411's externally since there isn't a great battery solution for cold in a 9 Volt size. Rechargeable Li-Ion are about the best in a 9 Volt. For the AA's, either Eveready lithiums or NiMh will be the strongest choice. Alkalines in either form factor are terrible when cold. LCD's may get very sluggish or go blank while the units continue to work. Just set everything when they are warmer.

Best Regards (and luck), 

Larry F

Lectro

I've had my 411's to -50C. They worked fine, though one of them had a raised noise floor (noticeable hiss) for the first 5 or so minutes that it was turned on. Keep your transmitters inside the talent's clothes to keep them warm.

I was using a SD 442 at the time so I can't comment on how the 664 will do. I used Lithium IDX NP1's to power everything- Battery life was about 1/2 to 2/3rds at that temperature.

Cheers and good luck!

Brent Calkin