Wacky DSLR Rigs

Just caught a column on the website 4KShooters.net on how some people are jury-rigging the Sony A7S -- which is a very fine still camera -- to shoot "4K" shorts and other projects. The only problem is, by the time you add all the crap to it in order to make the camera workable for timecode, monitoring, sound, follow-focus, batteries, etc., what you wind up with is this:

Cinoflex-C500-4K-Shooters-1-1024x731.jpg

As opposed to, say, the Arri Amira:

ARRI_AMIRA_on_location.jpg

Tell me which one makes more sense!   :wacko:

The camera body of one of those DSLR rigs is relatively cheap, but I hear from both experienced ACs and rental houses all the time that the "economy" of shooting this way is illusory.   Someone may have a cam body of their own etc, but the cost of the high-end glass, all the accessories, the time in prep to invent the wheel for this rig (often out of parts that were not designed for this particular camera), all the potential failure points among all those cables and finally the confusion and extra hassle of using such a monster on location cause smart DPs to try and talk clients out of going this way.  This rig makes an Epic setup look positively logical.

philp

You can't get an Amira for $2500 and even if you could, it still wouldn't shoot in 4k.

Now the Amira can shoot fake 4K!

http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/1956-new-amira-upgrade-allows-access-to-the-full-resolution-of-its-sensor-in-4k-prores

They plan to add the fake-4K feature to the Alexas in a couple of months. One can argue as to whether uprezzing 2.8K (or whatever) to 3.8K UHD is worth it, but to me, it's just a number. 

Note that the mount pictured above for the Sony A7S is $10,000, and I think all the other crap might be a little more costly. It's not a $2500 setup. I always argue that the lenses are the most expensive part of the package. No matter how much you spend on a camera, a whole set of Zeiss UltraPrimes and a decent zoom will cost you $100K... without a camera.

It's kind of like spending $5000 for a sound recorder and then $25,000 for microphones... which is easy to do, if you count wireless TX and RX in there.

That rig in the picture didn't cost $2500 either.
To be fair though, the Amira pictured is hardly set up for a movie shoot. No TC, no follow-focus, no monitor, no scratch audio receiver, and so on

That's a fair comment. You would need a side monitor for the assistant and a wireless follow-focus setup; the TC and scratch audio would be optional. Still, I do think about the Amira's "Pick Up & Shoot" ad campaign, and there's something to be said for simplicity.

Note that the mount pictured above for the Sony A7S is $10,000, and I think all the other crap might be a little more costly. It's not a $2500 setup....

I agree with your main point, that there's a lot of other expensive gak on that rig, but Cinoflex says that for under $10,000 you get the mount/plate/breakout-box thingy, Sony A7s camera body, batts, monitor/recorder....well here's their list:

THE CINOFLEX / type-SA7s Camera System

The under $10K total camera system breaks down with these elements:

- SONY A7S CAMERA

- CINOFLEX TYPE-SA7S CAMERA SYSTEM

- CINOFLEX AKS KIT AND ACCESSORIES

- ANTON BAUER HCX 14.5V OB BATTERIES - 2X

- ANTON BAUER TWIN S CHARGER 12V SUPPLY

- CINOFLEX SMART POWER AB MOUNT AC/DC MODULE

- PANAVISON / PL / CANON / NIKON MOUNT ADAPTER SYSTEM

- ODYSSEY 7 OLED MONITOR / RECORDER

- HDMI / MICRO HDMI / BNC HD-SDI - CABLES

- POWER CABLES FOR CAMERA ND ODYSSEY 7

And here's their picture of that system (plus a lens and some tape):

post-286-0-35417100-1410795153_thumb.jpg

Just checked. From OP's link: "In the meantime, check out some behind the scenes photos of the Cinoflex C300/C500 camera system in action from a shoot they did for Canon Imagination 2013 featuring Eva Longoria."

So yeah, not the A7S. The original point still stands of course! The simpler, the better.

Cinoflex has been selling, or at least promoting, their system for a couple years at least. It's definitely clever (with the integrated breakouts) and well made. But when I've worked with stuff like this...let's just say we're never waiting on sound...and we're not shooting verite...

A picture from Cinoflex of their system with an A7s and an Optimo zoom:

10570307_647792552007868_864654499651124

You would need a side monitor for the assistant and a wireless follow-focus setup

Not necessarily - thinking of run-and-gun doco shoots.

Which often are lower budget, minimum team, and trying to save camera rental - therefore DSLR or C300. And then they start adding bits and pieces, making things unnecessarily complicated.

Not necessarily - thinking of run-and-gun doco shoots.

Which often are lower budget, minimum team, and trying to save camera rental - therefore DSLR or C300. And then they start adding bits and pieces, making things unnecessarily complicated.

It's just that the DSLR rig pictured first is obviously not set up for run and gun, whereas the Amira in the picture is. Thus an unfair comparison

• 2 months later...

Hah!

Funny to see that original posted pic as it is one of our rigs from the show Wilfred. Also funny in that there is not one piece of Sony gear on that camera as far as I can remember.

A total debacle from the side of the camera design and we all had a wonderful time mocking how they got to their ends.

The problem, as I saw it, was that they won an ASC award in season 1 where they were working things out on the camera side. The show was visually quite hyper stylized with loads of lens baby rigs and the like and the builds were beyond ridiculous. That said, the ASC award seemed to legitimize a lot of the odd choices made and perpetuated episodes that were shot in anamorphic that slowly squeezed the image as well as incorporated all kinds of goofy choices using visual gags. It was also somewhat of an exercise in seeing what they could build a good chunk of the time.

The camera bodies began with Canon 5D/7D's and then changed over in season 2 to the Nikon D800's. 

Timecode was fed via a clock-it that was padded down for the audio inputs. A large addition to all that is mounted on there is the batteries on the back that were used to counter-balance the lens which made it very front heavy.

The biggest challenge on set by far was for the 1st AC's who had to pull focus with a cheesy Bartek system in addition to converted still lenses which gave them a very shallow depth of field and poor handling on the follow focus side.

Some very long days for those guys.

It went for 4 seasons on FX and they made a ton of money so I'm sure they will be doing crazy builds like this in the future.

Scott Harber CAS

Just caught a column on the website 4KShooters.net on how some people are jury-rigging the Sony A7S -- which is a very fine still camera -- to shoot "4K" shorts and other projects. The only problem is, by the time you add all the crap to it in order to make the camera workable for timecode, monitoring, sound, follow-focus, batteries, etc., what you wind up with is this:

Cinoflex-C500-4K-Shooters-1-1024x731.jpg

As opposed to, say, the Arri Amira:

ARRI_AMIRA_on_location.jpg

Tell me which one makes more sense!   :wacko: