Zaxcom iPhone app preview - ZaxMote

Shastapete

see how many people are really interested in them. Because if people aren't really using them why spend the time and money making them.

More features, more interest. Lack of keyboard support in Maxx is a big minus when folks are deciding what to take out vs. other similarly sized machines out there...

HOWEVER-- very excited about ZaxMote. Where do I get me a dongle?!

:P

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zaxcom has always been on the cutting edge of technology, and features to make your work flow easier. What's in store for the future? All I can say is buckle up for a fun ride.

Lectro has had this app for their transmitters for years no dongle required, and before that they had the RM for years.  While I agree with you Jack that Zaxcom is often on the cutting edge this is isn't it.

Lectro has had this app for their transmitters for years no dongle required, and before that they had the RM for years.  While I agree with you Jack that Zaxcom is often on the cutting edge this is isn't it.

Zaxmote is the phone interface to a remote control that's been in Zaxcom for a few years as well. I've been doing it via my Nomad for a while, and there are other ways too. 

Control over 2.4GHz is very different than dweedle tones into the lav mic itself.  I love what the LectroRM put in my hand, but ZaxNet controls are an evolutionary leap ahead. That's only possible with the dual radios. I've used both and it's nice to be able to change gain in scene for unscripted stuff, like when somebody starts a loud device (motorcycle/car). ZaxNet lets you bump gain up and down, and now ZaxMote apparently displays the gain of individual transmitters. Not a HUGE deal to me, but nice to see. I find it more useful to see what the level is an nudge it up or down as needed. A specific number doesn't matter a lot, unless it's indicating that something else is wrong (like maybe a lav fell into their clothes).

With Lectro's remote you say "make gain 23", but you have to remember what gain each body pack was at. There's no option for nudging +1 or -1. If somebody is a low talker I may have already had them at 23, so hitting them with the tone for gain of 23 isn't going to do anything. I've also accidentally reset the gain of the surrounding lavs if I don't have people isolated.

Once I make an adjustment, I have to go back to my cart, look&listen and then go back to the lav to beep at them again. Maybe you have to experience it to understand, but it's wonderful. Even for scripted stuff, I can adjust gains on individual mics during rehearsal without running back and forth to the talent. 

Again, I LOVE what the dweedle tones brought to the table. Enough that I replaced my fully functioning Lectrosonics transmitters with SM series partly to gain these abilities. You just can't compare the capabilities of the two. Get a demo sometime and see. 

* footnote: I still own a lot more Lectrosonics wireless gear than Zaxcom. 

Johnpaul pretty much said it. I, too, still own more channels of Lectro than Zaxcom but have been using the Zaxcom wireless on a regular basis for well over a year now -- primarily due to Zaxnet.

On the cart, each of my Deva knobs controls a specific transmitter's internal gain. Just like a traditional gain pot, the knob's rotational position indicates the transmitter's gain setting. I also have the option of the increment/decrement method mentioned above via an IFB100, but using the Deva's front panel knobs is nothing short of awesome.

(Note) The same knob control can be done on a Nomad, which can be incentive for having extra knobs via the add-on panel.

When I put my Deva, or Nomad, into record via a remote toggle switch, each transmitter also starts a timecoded recording, as well as the camera link transmitter (which automatically gives me a two-track backup).

Then, there's the ability to sleep or wake the transmitters, as well as easily change frequencies, all from the comfort of cart or bag.

Yes, I gotta admit, Zaxnet is awesome, and any coming embellishment to the system evokes a feeling of excitement.

Sorry Chris but I have to disagree with you there is a "cutting edge" difference by controlling your transmitters from the other side of a set vs approaching talent and using a dweddle tone.

FYI - I too own more channels of Lectro than Zax wireless.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Chris but I have to disagree with you there is a "cutting edge" difference by controlling your transmitters from the other side of a set vs approaching talent and using a dweddle tone.

FYI - I too own more channels of Lectro than Zax wireless.

I have to agree w jack too. using zaxnet remote commands after lectro remote, the difference is like email vs a fax machine. While the lectro app was cool when i first started using it, now it feels old school getting into peoples personal space and making weird noises when nerves on set are on edge as it is at times. I too own more lectro channels than zaxcom. But after using zaxnet sometimes i feel anything else is a step back for me on the job.

-Ken

Too bad Vin, would have enjoyed myself with such great company.  The biggest thing that excited me about Zaxmote, in addition to control greater than what I have now, or at least quicker with better visual confirmation of settings, is the ability to remotely place the receivers and just have a control surface (iPhone) in my bag or on my minimalist cart.  Where I dislike touch screen for rudimentary controls of mixers and recorders, I think that such touch interface would excel at wireless management.

I don't know who had the dweddle tone remote first, but I do remember having it with the Goldline series of zaxcom transmitters. This was back in the PocketPC days, before the first iPhone.