Zaxcom iPhone app preview - ZaxMote

Shastapete

So does this work through the QRX235 IFB Option, or is a separate dongle needed?

Are users beta testing the Zaxmote app yet?

wl4zn4.png6qkuht.pngnvrw3d.png

It sounds like a wifi dongle (attached to the qrx's serial port) is needed to receive commands from the app and then the IFB transmitter (QIFB ) is used to send those commands over zaxnet to the transmitters.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly

Thanks Jack, so might it possible for the Zax wifi dongle to plug in to the Nomad serial port and control things via the in-built Zaxnet of the Nomad?

If so what are the implications if the serial port is already in use with FP8 could it then be made to work with a splitter cable?

I realize this is getting way ahead on a product not even released yet but one can't help being curious and asking those who might know what things might be possible? :)

Since we are going to completely guess until somebody officially answers...... :)

If it's a Zaxcom custom dongle with WiFi, then it probably uses the pass-through ability of the QRX's serial ports to just let the module's data go over Zaxnet. Colleen did say "hopefully it will also work with IFB200", which doesn't have the serial ports. If it works with IFB200, that same interface may work with a TRX900CL. 

Anyway, I'm excited that Zaxcom is tinkering with iOS apps at all. It's way to early to make request lists, let alone complaints. 

My guess is that if the CL or IFB200 is in RX mode then you could potentially control it from the app...However your control would end at that device.

It would be nice if these devices had bi-directional wi-fi capabilities. Then the dongle would not be necessary at all and devices like the CL/IfB200/QRX could all be controlled from the app without having to touch the device. You would simply turn zaxnet "on" and configure it from the app if that is your work flow.

My guess is that if the CL or IFB200 is in RX mode then you could potentially control it from the app...However your control would end at that device.

It would be nice if these devices had bi-directional wi-fi capabilities. Then the dongle would not be necessary at all and devices like the CL/IfB200/QRX could all be controlled from the app without having to touch the device. You would simply turn zaxnet "on" and configure it from the app if that is your work flow.

Zaxnet is not wifi. Different protocols.

Zaxnet is not wifi. Different protocols.

But it needs a "WIFI" dongle to connect to QRX? And you have to have wifi enabled on your iphone to use it and it runs in the 2.4ghz spectrum.

in the consumer sense..No its not WIFI. I'm not going to connect my lynksys router to zaxnet, Its an extremely proprietary implementation of the 802.11 protocol.

Either way...it would be nice if the zaxnet protocol was bi-directional in all devices so a dongle isn't necessary.

I'm not trying to split hairs here.. I think the possibilities here are great...and maybe asking for what I mentioned is a limitation of the protocol thus requiring the use of the dongle for those devices. Only Zaxcom knows.

I would like to phone become a zaxnet device with the app.

If the app is coded with the zaxnet encryption and a certain amount of control over the wifi hardware on the phone can be obtained then there is no reason why it couldnt function like any other zaxnet enabled device.

Oddly enough I think zaxcom would have more success building this on the android platform because its an open architecture.

They can just make a app, which can connect with phone via USB, it's helps a lot for sound report and TX control.  I mean, in 90% of the situations, you are working by your cart or bag, it's not really necessary to connect via WIFI for a 20 cm distance. 

That is very true! Wandering and I were just getting at the point of not wanting a wifi dongle on a QRX.

My point was making the zaxnet bi-directional wouldn't eliminate the dongle, you would still need to communicate with the phone via wifi.

I'm curious to see how well the wifi dongles preform being so close to a 2.4 ghz transmitter.

Two and a half years ago I asked this very question and was told tat even though ZAXNET is 2.4ghz it can not be implemented in to regular 802.11B wireless.

Two and a half years ago I asked this very question and was told tat even though ZAXNET is 2.4ghz it can not be implemented in to regular 802.11B wireless.

This is what I'm saying. Zaxnet doesn't follow the 802.11 standards, and can't be incorporated into an 802.11 network.

A direct usb connection as opposed to the dongle would work for most of how I forsee using it, but so would the dongle.

matt: " Its an extremely proprietary implementation of the 802.11 protocol. "

I doubt it...

as Wandering just said: I, too, think it is more of a proprietary protocol using 2.4GHz, probably designed to co-exist with WiFi protocols...

" not wanting a wifi dongle on a "

I don't think it is/will be a WiFi dongle, I suspect it is a 2.4 GHz communications dongle...

" If the app is coded with the zaxnet encryption and a certain amount of control over the wifi hardware on the phone can be obtained then there is no reason why it couldnt function like any other zaxnet enabled device."

better ::)

• 5 months later...