AudioRoot Power solutions review

RadoStefanov

1 hour ago, johnpaul215 said:

What are you running now? An IDX NPL7S is 70Wh, so that's something to compare to. 

Using the 744T onboard power at the moment with Sony L batts. It does the job just fine with battery changes at lunch, but I've been looking at Audio Root for my first BDS system to give me room to grow, and simplify power management down the road.

24 minutes ago, Dave Pullmer said:

Using the 744T onboard power at the moment with Sony L batts. It does the job just fine with battery changes at lunch, but I've been looking at Audio Root for my first BDS system to give me room to grow, and simplify power management down the road.

Gotcha. It'll definitely be an upgrade from the Sony L batteries. I think the 744T is power hungry compared to a 633 or a Maxx, but things will also change if you start adding wireless receivers. 

I went from powering my bags with v-mounts to the new IE batteries and it's been rock solid. Lighter and less bulky than the v-mounts with longer run times. The AR battery cups are super nice. After reading up on them here it really is true that they snap and lock into place. I use both the big batts and the half joints. Most of the time I'm on the bigger ones. I want to do an upgrade and get one of the AR distro units. Thats my next step.....

I can power my 744t/552/qrx235 combo all day with a single 98whr battery. I can go 3/4 of a day with the x3....

• 1 year later...

I’ve got an audioroot battery system that has been great but I’ve been having a few issues. About a month after I bought it, I put it on charge the night before a shoot and went to bed. Woke up the next morning and it hadn’t charged. Found out there was a short in the iec type of cable so I replaced it, that fixed the problem for awhile. Now it’s been happening again where the battery will not charge but it doesn’t seem to be a bad connection because the light is responding to whether or not the battery is plugged into the charger, but it’s stuck on one bar. 

Im trying to decide if I should stick with audioroot or switch over to remote audio. 

5 hours ago, Joe Dunlap said:

I’ve got an audioroot battery system that has been great but I’ve been having a few issues. About a month after I bought it, I put it on charge the night before a shoot and went to bed. Woke up the next morning and it hadn’t charged. Found out there was a short in the iec type of cable so I replaced it, that fixed the problem for awhile. Now it’s been happening again where the battery will not charge but it doesn’t seem to be a bad connection because the light is responding to whether or not the battery is plugged into the charger, but it’s stuck on one bar. 

Im trying to decide if I should stick with audioroot or switch over to remote audio. 

Sounds like a faulty battery? , contact whoever sold it to you as they do fail. (other batteries charge fine?)

I have 2x 48Wh, 3x 96Wh. No issues after 18 months, have both the RSS & IE single bay chargers and am very happy. Love being able to see the realistic run time on my mixer with a load (SXR4+) rather than guess as I did with NP1's.

On 12/16/2018 at 10:36 PM, engaudio said:

Sounds like a faulty battery? , contact whoever sold it to you as they do fail. (other batteries charge fine?)

I have 2x 48Wh, 3x 96Wh. No issues after 18 months, have both the RSS & IE single bay chargers and am very happy. Love being able to see the realistic run time on my mixer with a load (SXR4+) rather than guess as I did with NP1's.

I finally figured out that it is the charger that isn’t working. So I have a new remote audio battery and a remote audio charger on the way. 

I have a question regarding battery cups:

Is there still a differentiation between SMBus versions and non-SMBus versions?

I can't find any "4Wire" versions on the Audioroot website, but Pinknoise has a right angled 4W version.

Is that some old stock or do I still have to buy the right version for non-SMBus use (direct connection to Recorder or RX without a BDS)?

Actually José's blog is the reason I'm asking. It's from late 2015 and Audioroot is not mentioning any of this on their website. I thought they might have made a universal cup that you can use for SMBus and non-SMBus applications since then.

Just to get it right, if I plan on using this battery without a BDS (like eSmart BG-DU) for the first couple months, I'll be fine with the regular 4Hirose cup by Audioroot (since they are all non-SMBus versions). But if want to add an eSmart BG-DU, I will need to buy a new "4Wire" cup to fully use the SMBus functions (or go for the BG-DH MK. II), right?

On 12/27/2018 at 6:07 PM, OnTheSoundSideOfLife said:

But if want to add an eSmart BG-DU, I will need to buy a new "4Wire" cup to fully use the SMBus functions (or go for the BG-DH MK. II), right? 

yes, you are right. but you can also use the 4 wire cup for any 2 wire hirose connection.