AudioRoot Power solutions review

RadoStefanov

Better then USA prices?

I'm not sure about contacting Audioroot directly (there are no prices on the website as far as I can see) but French distibutor Areitec sells the battery for 306 Euros including local taxes ($396). That must be way above what you paid Rado. Your total package would be in excess of $2000 from them.

Many thanks for the review.

You can buy direct from AudioRoot in France - prices are pretty good this way.

After emailing AudioRoot a few months ago about delivery to the UK I was told by them that I had to go through their UK distributer (could not buy direct) in order to purchase their gear - Richmond Film Services. The price got expensive awfully quickly.

Batteries look a lot like these units. http://inspiredenergy.com/standard_products/NH2054/NH2054.htm

Thanks for the review Rado, but I find your IDX bashing a bit uncalled for and perhaps a bit premature based on your single day of experience with this new system.  

Chris,

No bashing IDX just my experience. I had 4 charges in a row fail. Also I have been critical of NP1s for a long time "going all the way back to when OLEG was still here". I even ventured in to Sony L-Types for 2 hole years.

One day is enough to convert me.

I know how lithium Ion works.

I like the build quality,design and price.

Gives me more power then IDX.

IDX Np1 does not fit in my bag.

What else is there?

So I am converting

As per my previous thread I've been considering a swap for some time. Being able to trade NP1 with other mixers is a good point well made though - Hawkwoods, IDX and Swit all fit the same shoes so it's an easy swap. I'd suffer that if I could lighten my bag though.

I don't wish to constantly harp on, but the price differences are certainly a little depressing.

I even ventured in to Sony L-Types for 2 hole years.

What do you mean? Or even better what do you think of Sony L-Type?

I saw the Audioroot batteries and charger the other day quite impressive but very expensive. Ran a test today with my good old sony NP-F and DV-SQN4X and got 8.30 hours runtime on a 664 recording 6 tracks. I decided if the test failed (5 or less recording hours) I would go for Audioroot but I was happily surprised.

A side effect to the EU is that you can usually buy anything everywhere. For example, I buy all my Zaxcom stuff at a shop in the Netherlands as they have better prices and stock than others. I've only searched briefly, but another shop in the Netherlands seems to have pretty good prices. Although I haven't actually purchased anything there, yet. The e-smart dual charger, as an example retails at €299 excl. VAT, which equals £287. Richmond Film Services lists this at £433...

Richmonds price is for the old two bay charger I think, I was told £240ish for the newer better one. They probably haven't updated their site. As an aside, accutronics does the inspired stuff and the moulded  unterminated cable is about £18 from them, The difference between that and the audio root one is a four pin lemo and £50.

I got this from AudioRoot:

"The eSMART BG-DH MKII can only work with the eSMART Li-45 and Li-89Wh batteries.
This is why the input cable is permanently attached.
Battery monitoring is performed directly inside the smart batteries. The BG-DH MKII communicates
with the smart battery internal processor, retrieves the desired information and displays them on the OLED screen.

The eSMART BG-DU is our universal smart distributor. It has a 4 pin Hirose input so it can connect
to any battery. More importantly it has an internal battery monitoring system that can be programmed
to monitor any kind of the battery. But to monitor a conventionnal battery the user will have to run
a manual calibration. This manual calibration is described in the BG-DU's user manual.
Of course you can also connect the BG-DU to any of our smart batteries with a special 4 wire cable. In that case the battery monitoring
is fully automatic (just like with the BG-DH MKII)."