AudioRoot Power solutions review

RadoStefanov

This just came in:

Dear audio professionals,
As there has been a lot of discussion in professional audio circles recently I would like to provide the following general information to assist you in your choice of battery packs.

Inspired Energy is the manufacturer of the following Audioroot battery packs:
eSMART Li-89Wh
eSMART Li-98Wh
eSMART Li45Wh
eSMART Li49Wh
(This is not a secret – It is a requirement that the manufacturer is identified on the battery label in the FCC compliance box).

The above Audioroot products are based on our following standard models but they are NOT identical:
NH2054HD31
NH2054HD34
ND2054HD31
ND2054HD34

-     The Audioroot batteries have different firmware which is custom for Audioroot only & which is proprietary to them.

-     The Audioroot batteries are only available from Audioroot & their distributors; not from Inspired Energy.

-     The Inspired Energy std. batteries should not operate the Audioroot device because the firmware is different.

-     If our batteries do operate the Audioroot devices it may be a fortunate coincidence, or it may be intentional by Audioroot. Either way we have no knowledge of compatibility or otherwise.

-     Inspired Energy standard batteries are designed for use in a variety of applications: Medical, Military, Industrial, Test & Measurement, Robotics, Lighting etc.

-     If you choose to replace a custom Audioroot battery with a standard battery you do so at your own risk. Audioroot have chosen to implement custom firmware in their battery to suit their particular device, & a standard Inspired Energy battery cannot be returned to us because it does not operate an Audioroot device. It can only be returned for replacement under our standard 1 year warranty.

I hope this helps to de-mystify the questions that have been raised on this subject.

With best regards,

Dave Baggaley,
Sales & Marketing Director,
Inspired Energy, LLC
Tel: +1 352 472 4855 x12
Fax: +1 352 472 4859
www.inspiredenergy.com <http://www.inspiredenergy.com>

It would appear the "fortunate coincidence" is across the board as users here have been using IE batteries with Audio Root distro systems with great success.

Cheers,

Evan

To me, it seems that the audio root distros were made to work with SMBus capable batteries, not just their own, and that IE designed batteries that are SMBus capable. I know both of my audioroot distros work with the IE batteries, so I will continue to purchase batteries from them. Obviously at my own risk.

The 'firmware' being referred to is obviously the SMBus stuff - that allows monitoring of state of charge etc. i guess if the IE batteries are working well with the distribution systems it is all good. 

in any case, the firmware has nothing to do with the actual functioning of the battery - which is to provide current at particular voltage for x hours at Y load... 

as he said 'fortunate coincidence'... :)

How much more practical is SMBus?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd say very practical:

post-8621-0-87976000-1427476654_thumb.jp

These batteries and distro give me amazingly valuable information, that better help me make decisions about what I can and cannot do:

- Percentage and voltage left on the battery

- Time left remaining until battery drain, based on what the current draw is

- What the current draw is

- Battery temperature

- How many discharge cycles the battery has gone through

Edit: BTW, the picture above is from my Maxx bag, using the eSMART BG-DH MKII and an Inspired Energy 98Wh battery, which powers my Maxx, 2 QRXs and a Betso TCD-1 for over 8 hours of uninterrupted power. It certainly lasts me an entire day when I power down between breaks and whatnot.

Jose: can't you train them to compute that data for other batteries too? 

As Peter mentioned, the BG-DU does allow you to train it for up to 8 different non-SMBus-capable batteries, the caveat here, though, is that every time you swap the battery, it assumes the new battery is fully charged, otherwise, the telemetry is all wrong. Not an issue, but an inconvenience rather. SMBus batteries get rid of all this, because the battery is in constant communication with the micro controller in the distro, always supplying up to date info.

Once you go SMBus, you never go back.

Well it does look good but why cant one make a distro that calculates that info based on the voltage? I like the cycle count tho

What I said above to Johnpaul applies. You can, but it really isn't as effective as just having a battery that does have SMBus.

So you can connect a battery without smbus and get remaining time information?

No, it assumes that the battery is fully charged after swapping. If you turn off the distro and turn it back on with the same battery plugged in, it will just pick up wherever it left off previously. When you swap batteries, it will assume the new battery is fully charged. If it isn't, all of the telemetry will be off. Which is why SMBus is just more convenient and effective.

Thanks Jose.

Unfortunately their battery capacity is not high enough for me and my power hungry 788. I only managed to find peace once I ditched NP1s and settled for LiPo's, but was always interested in an Audioroot distro.

No problem! If you don't mind me asking, what sort of capacity are we talking here? What batteries are you currently using?

I rather carry less weight and switch battery once a day.

Well... Turkey has different insurance policies then the US  :) 

I do agree with Rado. 1300gram battery for bag work sounds too much to me. (Assuming that's the way you use it) I use 2*25amp for cart. Can't imagine using them on the go.

I rather carry less weight and switch battery once a day.

I dont switch at all or maybe 1 time towards the end of the day if I am running 6 channels non stop and its a long day.

Well... Turkey has different insurance policies then the US   :)

I do agree with Rado. 1300gram battery for bag work sounds too much to me. (Assuming that's the way you use it) I use 2*25amp for cart. Can't imagine using them on the go.

I am not sure what insurance has anything to do with it.  

I don't know what you guys use as a mixer/recorder but 788+cl8 draws a lot of power, plus I have 5 receivers, their housing and 2 transmitters, so NP1's are just a hassle to deal with.

1 of my Swit NP1's weighs about 700g, which is about 5ah and is bearly enough for a couple of  hours, I would need roughly 6-8 of them to get through the day, but a 22ah Tracer weighs less than 2 of those, so its not THAT bad for the amount of power it provides. 

I use a 90Wh v-mount and switch at lunch, even though i never actually need to. The second one will almost always last the rest of the day, unless it gets really long. I have 3 anyway. Though, I have a Nomad, so it's not as power hungry. 

That's why these 98Wh batteries are looking really good to me. There're a lot smaller and lighter than my B4B V-mounts. 

Engin, what are you running on your cart these days? I know on "The way I remember it" you kept it all "bag mode" with nps

Hi Peter,

Great to hear from you! You remember it right!!

Since then I have 2 of Powerizer 25Ah running the 788, lectro, micplexer, BST75 combo...